Chapter 57 (Tobias POV)

After our tear jerking speeches at the restaurant, the party bus takes us to the school. I'm stunned at the decorations once we walk in.

It looks like a night club, the strobe lights and disco balls all around us, and the bumping music. Tris and I are having so much fun, it's hard to wipe my smile off of my face. She twirls around, her blonde hair flowing around with the bottom of her dress.

She's so beautiful. She is so beautiful.

She looks like a princess when she spins around, over and over, and she starts laughing when she loses her balance and gets dizzy. She almost tumbles to the ground in her heels, but I catch her gracefully. I start goofing around and dancing like I have no sense, and everyone gathers around me in a circle and laughs or takes pictures or videos of me. Uriah joins in the dance shenanigans circle, and fake break dances and spins around on the ground, slightly crinkling his tux.

I'll never experience this much happiness with any other group of people.

We're all dancing and laughing and taking photos together as the night continues, and then the principal gets on the stage and taps the microphone.

"Quiet down everyone! It's time to announce the prom king and queen." He says.

Zeke and Shauna win prom king and queen, and I'm happy for them. If Tris and I couldn't win, I wanted it to be Zeke and Shauna. They deserve it.
They've been through a lot.

Once Zeke and Shauna get crowned prom king and queen and make their acceptance speeches, a slow song plays and everyone walks out to the dance floor. Tris flashes her perfect smile at me, and I grab her hand and pull her closer to me. My hands automatically wrap around her waist, and her arms are around my neck. Forehead to forehead, Tris and I slowly dance in circles and we breathe each other's air. I kiss her gently, unhesitatingly, and her hands move from my neck, up to my face before she kisses back.

Supple and sweet.

Our lips are entwined, and fit perfectly. Her lipstick feels strange at first, because usually when we kiss, it's just her natural warm softness, not anything heavy coating her lips. I adjust to the feeling and caress her cheekbone as we lock lips again. My fingers leave her cheek, and tangle in her hair and her warm hand strokes the back of my neck. Our affection clearly strong enough to make us oblivious to the fact that the slow song ended.

"We tend to get a little carried away when we kiss, huh?" She jokes.

"I enjoy it though." I laugh.

They play more dance music and everyone is dancing like it's the last day they'll live. Once the dance ends we get in the party bus and Uriah stands and reaches above his head into something. He throws a pair of swim shorts at me, Zeke, and Will. He throws the girls their bathing suits, and a bit of disgust runs through me for a second, but it quickly vanishes.

"How'd you get our bikinis?" Christina asks, her voice sounding somewhat worried.

"Don't worry about that." He says.

"What're we doing?" Tris asks curiously.

"Night time lake swimming!" Uriah screeches, and the whole party bus is whooping and cheering.

We race each other off of the bus, and towards the large lake. The crickets are the only thing that we hear, along with our heavy pants. I see fireflies flickering and I smile. Everyone strips out of their dresses and suits and into their swimsuits. I look over and see Tris, wiping her face off with something.

"What're you doing babe?" I ask.

"Christina always carries make up remover, y'know, just in case." Tris says.