Chapter 53 (Tris and Tobias POV)

Tobias stays with me in my room and we talk until the doctor comes in with a few other people. I feel my heartbeat race off because I know it's time for the surgery.

"Listen to me baby, everything's going to be fine. They have the best doctors who are going to help, and it'll go smoothly. I'll be in here the whole time waiting." Tobias says softly into my ear.

"Thank you so much. I really appreciate it." I say back.

"You were there for me whenever I needed it, and I'm going to do the same." He says and smiles before he gently kisses my temple.

We exchange our "I love you's" like usual, and I get put on a gurney and I get rolled into the operating room. I'm getting even more nervous, which I know I shouldn't be because I've had surgery for when I got shot by Peter.

This surgery is different though. They're going to put some kind of active charcoal into my system, which sounds good but kind of terrifying at the same time.

The bright lights burn into my eyes and I see the doctors fumbling with a tube connected to an oxygen mask. I see someone with a mask over their face with a needle and they inject me with it. The anesthesia. It doesn't take very long for me to feel drowsy and for everything around me to disappear into darkness.

TOBIAS POV

I sit in Tris's room all by myself, twiddling my thumbs and anxiously tapping my foot on the tiled floor.

Just calm down, Tobias. Breathe.

I call my friends to the hospital and have them come into Tris's room so they can calm me down and so I don't vomit everywhere.

"Dude, you alright?" Zeke asks.

"No, not really." I swallow.

"Why? Did something happen to Tris?" Christina asks.

"No, she just went in for surgery. I'm just nervous."

"Don't worry, Tris will pull through. I know she will." Marlene says.

"Thanks guys, seriously. It means a lot." I say, grateful for their presence.

"We're all in this together!" Uriah sings and we all laugh.

Thank god I have them around for support. I probably would've gone crazy if I hadn't called them.

Almost 2 hours go by, and I see Tris get wheeled back in the room and they carefully place her back on the bed. She's still unconscious from the anesthetic they gave her. Tris looks peaceful, and serene.

"She looks so calm." Shauna says.

"I know." I say, smiling at Tris.

"Dude, you're so whipped." Will says jokingly.

"Aren't we all whipped for our girlfriends?" Zeke says before laughing.

"True, true." Uriah says.

We all start laughing and then I hear a groan and I see Tris, stirring in the bed.

"Tris?" I say, leaning closer to her face.

"Mmmm..., oh god." She groans.

"Hey baby. How do you feel?" I smile.

"I feel alright. Nice to see you're not stressed out or worried anymore." She jokes.

"You have no idea how nervous I was when they took you to the OR. I felt like I was going to vomit." I laugh.

"It's okay. I'm okay." She says while she places a hand on my face. Her thumb strokes my cheek and her index finger slowly circles my cartilage. I gasp and smile.