11 - Gentle Touch

"How was it back in Seoul?" Jay asked, his hands stuffed in his pockets while walking down the streets with Y/N. "Your life, I mean."

Y/N shrugged, looking down at her feet. The memories of her life in Seoul flooded her mind, and a lot of different emotions washed over her. "It was... busy, I guess," she replied, a faint smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "I mean, there was always something happening, always something to do. I used to go to work, meet up with friends, go on dates with Sungho... a beautiful, peaceful life."

He nodded, gazing at her as she spoke. The way the moonlight reflected in her eyes made them seem even more enchanting. "Sounds like you had a really fulfilling life there."

She nodded, a soft sigh escaping her. "Yes, it was special. But now that I think of Seoul, I don't want to go back. Not when everything will remind me of Sungho and our tragic story." The tears glistened in her eyes and he reached out to wipe the one that escaped down her cheek. "But I'm starting over here." 

Jay's fingers lingered on her cheek for a moment before he gently withdrew his hand. "With me?" He smiled. His warm smile and genuine interest in his eyes made her heart flutter. Amidst her pain, the way he understood her was unexpectedly comforting.

"Yes, with you," she replied, a soft smile gracing her lips. "You make me feel like I can be happy again." 

"You will." He reached for her hand, intertwining their fingers with a gentle squeeze. "Happiness isn't just a distant possibility, Y/N. It's something you deserve. I will-" He suddenly stopped in his tracks, his hand tightening around hers as his gaze fixed on something in the distance. Y/N followed his line of sight and saw a cat struggling to stand up. It looked like it was hit by a passing car. Without a second thought, Jay rushed over to the injured cat, crouching down beside it, and gently scooped it into his arms.

Y/N hurried to his side, concern etched across her face. "Is it okay?"

"I... I'm not sure," He let out a shaky breath, canning their surroundings for any sign of an animal hospital. "I think there's one a few blocks away. Come on." Y/N followed him while he walked quickly yet carefully, cradling the injured cat against his chest. The way he cared for the injured animal touched Y/N's heart deeply. 

When they reached the animal hospital a few blocks away, Jay gently placed the injured cat on a nearby bench, calling for help to make sure someone attends to the injured feline as soon as possible. "You'll be okay." Jay stroked its fur gently and the injured cat let out a weak mewl.

A veterinarian and a nurse arrived and nodded at Jay. "We'll take care of the cat. Thank you for bringing it in."

Jay nodded back, his gaze still fixed on the injured cat. "Please do everything you can. I'll cover the expenses."

They just smiled and took over, letting Y/N and Jay head outside the place. He kept silent for a while and when Y/N tilted her head to look at him, tears were falling from his eyes, glistening under the streetlights. She stopped, the fact that Jay was crying over the injured cat both surprising and touching her deeply.

Y/N held his hands, tilting her head down to get a better look at his face. And without a word, she wrapped her arms around his waist and pulled him into a gentle embrace. "It's okay, Jay," She whispered softly. "Let it out."

He took a shuddering breath, his grip on her tightening before he allowed himself to fully lean into her embrace. Jay buried his face into Y/N's shoulder, tears streaming down his cheeks as he released the pent-up sorrow he had been carrying. Y/N held him close, wondering what he could have gone through to feel this deeply about the injured cat.

"I'm sorry I just..." He trailed off, his voice muffled against her shoulder. He cried like someone who had held onto his pain for far too long, and Sunghoon's words replayed in her mind. The boy who smiled a lot ten years ago became the man who barely ever smiles now.

She held him closer, realizing that Jay's tears were not just about the injured cat. They were about the wounds that had accumulated over time, the burdens he had been silently carrying, and the moments that had left scars on his soul. Her mind went back to when he told her about the car accident that cost his parents' life and she could only imagine the survivor's guilt he must have wrestled with over the years.

"You have a big heart," Y/N whispered softly, her voice making him pull back slightly, wiping his eyes with the back of his hand. She smiled at him, fixing his hair while he stared at her as if he was totally bewildered by her understanding.

He sniffled, giving her a half-hearted smile. "I really needed this." 

"You know, we can keep the cat at home if you'd like that." She smiled, her gaze kind and comforting. 

He shook his head a little and sighed. "We can't really do that. I'm allergic to cats." Her eyes widened and he scratched the back of his neck in embarrassment. "I probably shouldn't have held the cat myself."

And then a few minutes later they were home and she was putting ointment on his back where he had a slight allergic reaction from holding the cat. Y/N's touch was gentle, and she applied the ointment with care, her fingers brushing his skin softly. He winced a little at the coolness of the ointment but didn't protest. "Sorry about this," he mumbled, his gaze fixed on the floor, still feeling a bit embarrassed about the whole situation.

"You're so selfless." She whispered, pausing to stare at his back for a moment. He turned to her, shirtless, finding himself momentarily lost in her eyes. She let out a soft exhale, her fingers stilling as she seemed to gather her thoughts. "I mean it. Look at how you're letting me stay with you without even knowing who I am. What if I'm a criminal? Or worse, someone dangerous?"

He chuckles lightly, the sound warm and genuine. "Are you trying to confess something?"

"I'm just trying to show you how much I appreciate your kindness. But don't worry, I promise I'm not a criminal mastermind." She laughed softly, her fingers resuming their gentle movement against his chest. 

"Good to know. I have a strict 'no criminals allowed' policy in my home." That made her laugh while her touch remained gentle as she continued to apply the ointment, her fingers tracing patterns on his skin that sent shivers down his spine. "You're beautiful."

Her cheeks flushed slightly at the compliment, and she looked away for a moment, her fingers stilling once again. "Out of the blue?" 

"Well, you did mention dangerous criminals, so I figured I should distract you with something nice." She shook her head in disbelief. "I'm not always like this, only when I have a beautiful woman tending to my wounds."

"You're making it hard for me to concentrate." Her breath caught slightly and she looked away, her fingers hesitating on his chest. 

"Concentrate on what?" He asked in a hushed tone, his gaze locked onto her face.

Her heart skipped a beat at his question. "On you." Her fingers were barely grazing his skin, the touch feather-light yet electric. She could feel the warmth radiating from his body, the rise and fall of his chest with each breath.

Jay reached up with a gentle hand, tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "I thought that's what you were doing already."