24 - I Miss My Lover, Man

It was decided. Y/N was going back home, back to Seoul. She spent that morning packing the clothes she brought with her and spending some time with Grandma who was disappointed to hear about her upcoming departure. Grandma had grown fond of Y/N during her stay in Busan, and the thought of Y/N leaving was hard for her to bear. They sat in the living room along with Yejin who stared at them from her wheelchair.

"Promise me you'll visit again soon," Grandma said, holding Y/N's hand on her lap. "Jay will be very sad to see you go, and I'll miss you terribly."

"I promise I'll come back soon, so take care of yourself and stay healthy, Grandma," Y/N replied with a gentle smile, feeling a lump forming in her throat. "I'll keep in touch with Jay so you don't have to worry about me, okay?"

"Yes, my dear. I will hold you to that promise," Grandma said, her voice filled with love. She squeezed Y/N's hand gently before letting go, and Y/N knew that this farewell, though difficult, might be a temporary one. "I hope you're happy and well wherever you go."

Jay cleared his throat while he stood at the door and Y/N's heart sank at the sight of his slightly red eyes. Those eyes that she had grown so fond of, eyes that had seen her at her best and worst. 

"I'll miss you," Jay whispered, his voice barely above a hush, and when she approached him, he held her close, his embrace warm and comforting. Y/N knew that saying goodbye to him would be one of the hardest parts of leaving Busan, but she didn't know that Jay was going to make it even harder. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small, delicate necklace with a pendant shaped like a tiny seashell. "This is for you."

He carefully put it around her neck and fastened the clasp, his fingers lingering for a moment against her skin. 

Y/N touched the pendant, feeling its smooth surface, and looked up at him with tears glistening in her eyes. "It's beautiful." The tears that she was trying so hard to hold back finally spilled over, trailing down her cheeks. "Thank you, Jay." 

He smiled softly, his thumb gently wiping away her tears. "You really deserve it, sunshine." 

It was time to go back. Heeseung helped Yejin down the stairs and into the car before Y/N sat next to Jay who drove them to the train station. The car ride to the train station was filled with a heavy but comfortable silence. Y/N couldn't bring herself to say too much and Jay only rested his hand on hers on the center console, his thumb caressing her knuckles in a soothing manner as if silently telling her that everything would be okay.

Was it going to be okay? The question didn't have a clear answer as Y/N stared out of the car window, watching the streets of Busan pass by one last time. When they reached the train station and it was really time to part ways, she felt her chest tighten. 

Heeseung helped Yejin get onto the train and walked to Y/N while scratching the back of his neck. "Uh... take care. I won't miss you, though. I'll just pretend to be annoyed when you're not around." 

Y/N chuckled, her heart aching a little less with his attempt at humor. "I'll miss you too, Heeseung. Thanks for everything." She watched as he waved his hand and told Jay that he'd be waiting in the car, giving them some privacy for their farewell.

The two of them stood on the bustling platform, surrounded by the sounds of arriving and departing trains. The cool breeze tousled Y/N's hair, and she tucked a loose strand behind her ear, her gaze fixed on Jay. "Call me when you get back to Seoul," He said, his voice gentle but she could tell he was holding back his emotions. "I want to know you made it home safely."

Y/N nodded, her eyes shimmering with unshed tears. "I will, I promise."

Jay leaned in and placed a soft, lingering kiss on her forehead, his lips warm against her skin. "Take care, sunshine. I'll be waiting for your call." She nodded again, unable to say anything without her voice cracking. She hugged him tightly, burying her face in his chest, and Jay's arms wrapped around her, holding her close as if he never wanted to let her go.

But he did let her go and she did get onto the train where Yejin was waiting for her, and when it started to move, Y/N knew there was no turning back. As the train gradually gained speed, she kept her eyes glued to the window, watching Jay on the platform until he became a distant figure, swallowed by the landscape of Busan.

"You do love him so much, don't you?" Yejin's words made her shoulders slump and she rested her head against the window, closing her eyes without answering the question. She didn't need to, anyway, because Yejin knew the answer all too well. And she knew that Jay felt the same way about Y/N. She might have thought that Jay was taking advantage of Y/N's grieving but he was the very opposite; he was the one who had helped Y/N heal and find happiness in the midst of sorrow and their love felt like warm sunrays on a cold morning. 

But now the sun took a step back, the leaves lulled themselves to sleep and Autumn killed summer with the softest kiss.

Y/N could feel the tears welling up in her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. She just stared out the window, the passing scenery blurring into colors and emotions. Busan, the city where her heart had found love was fading into the distance, and with it, the memories that would forever be etched into her soul. 

In her dream, Y/N no longer felt guilty for loving Jay. It was the most beautiful kind of love, the kind that healed wounds, mended broken hearts, and brought warmth to the coldest of days.

Her dream was beautiful, but it was just a dream, and when the train stopped in Seoul and she stepped out into her hometown after a whole month of being away, the reality of her life hit her like a wave crashing against the shore.

"Y/N!" Her parent's voices made her snap out of her reverie, and she turned to see them rushing towards her with open arms. Her mother's eyes were filled with tears of joy, and her father wore a warm smile that reached his eyes. Y/N let go of her luggage and wrapped her arms around them while they held her close.

"It's so good to have you back, sweetheart," Her mother whispered, holding her tightly as if afraid she might disappear again. "Are you okay? Did you eat well? Do you feel well?"

Y/N smiled at her mother's familiar, caring questions. "I'm okay, Mom. And don't worry, I ate well. I missed your cooking, though."

"I exist too," Yejin spoke from behind her and her father smiled before crouching to hug her. "I brought her back so you don't have to worry anymore. Your daughter was having so much fun with a bunch of strangers and she definitely didn't forget her family." Her mother hit her shoulder and she mock gasped, staring at her in disbelief. "Mom! You're supposed to be mad at her!" 

"I'm sorry for... leaving. I missed you a lot." Y/N teared up as she apologized to her family. Her mother pulled away slightly to gently pat her back. 

"We're so glad you're back, Y/N. All that matters is that you're safe and happy." She was indeed safe and happy now, surrounded by the love of her family. And despite the bittersweet ache in her heart, it was good to be back home.