20 - Picture Perfect

Jay couldn't sleep that night. He watched her sleep peacefully beside him, her breathing steady and calm. She was beautiful, with her mess of hair spread across the pillow and a soft, content smile gracing her lips. Propping himself up on his elbow, his gaze lingered on her face as he traced the outline of her features with his eyes.

He had been through so much in his own life, yet Y/N had managed to touch his soul in ways he never thought possible. She was indeed a sunshine in his often cloudy world.

Her words replayed in his mind and he found himself smiling at the idea of her loving him. It was a feeling he had hoped for, but hearing her express it brought a whole new level of warmth to his heart. It almost felt surreal that a woman like her could feel that way about him.

"You make me feel like I'm living in a dream," Jay whispered softly to the quiet room, his words an intimate confession meant for no ears but his own. He gently leaned down and placed a soft kiss on Y/N's forehead, careful not to disturb her slumber before he reached out and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. 

A few years ago, Y/N was only the girl from high school he could never get out of his mind, and now, here they were, entangled in each other's lives and hearts.

As the first light of dawn painted the room in a soft, golden hue, Jay gently slipped out of bed, being careful not to disturb her. He padded over to the window and looked out at the slowly awakening of Busan. Turning back to the bed, he smiled when he saw Y/N beginning to stir, her eyes fluttering open. Her gaze met his, and for a moment, she seemed to say more with her eyes than words ever could.

"Good morning, sunshine," He smiled and made his way back to the bed. "Did you sleep well?"

"Morning," Y/N's cheeks turned a faint shade of pink, and she glanced away briefly before meeting his gaze again. "I'm sorry I slept here. I think it's safe to say I needed it though." She stretched slightly, giving him the perfect chance to tease her.

"Oh, you wanna hug me?" He chuckled softly. "I suppose I can grant that request." He leaned in and wrapped his arms gently around her, drawing her into a warm embrace. Y/N sighed contentedly as she rested her head against his chest, feeling his steady heartbeat against her cheek.

"You're comfortable," she mumbled, a soft smile forming on her lips.

"I'm glad to be of service," Jay replied with a playful grin, his fingers tracing soothing patterns on her back while she let out a soft sigh. "What's wrong, sunshine? Why are you sighing so early in the morning?"

Y/N slightly pulled away, her gaze dropping to his chest as she played with the fabric of his shirt. "About what I said last night... I mean, it's not like me to be so open about my feelings, especially after everything that's happened. But you make me want to be honest because even if it's scary to admit these feelings, but it's scarier to shut them out." She hesitated, her fingers now nervously fidgeting with a loose thread on his shirt.

Jay lifted her chin gently with his finger, tilting her face up to meet his eyes. "You know what? I find it incredibly brave of you to open up like this. And I'm so honored to be someone you're willing to love. You really have all my heart, sunshine. It might be broken and a little bruised, but it's all yours."

Her eyes welled up with tears, and a small, genuine smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "Jay..." She leaned into his touch, her heart fluttering as his thumb brushed against her cheek.

"We can take this at whatever pace you're comfortable with. I'm not here to rush you or make you feel pressured. I just need you to know that if you ever feel like the world is too much, or if you ever need a safe place to land, I'm right here. Someone who understands, who cares deeply, and who wants to see you happy."

The tears fell down her cheeks and she hid her face in her hands, feeling overwhelmed by her emotions. "How are you so perfect...?"

Jay's warm chuckle rumbled against her as he gently pulled her hands away from her face. He leaned in, placing a tender kiss on her forehead, his lips lingering there for a moment. "I'm far from perfect, believe me. But I'm here, willing to be imperfectly perfect for you, sunshine." 

"I like that." She smiled, her eyes softening while her fingers traced absent-minded patterns on his chest. "It's just... comforting. To know that we don't have to pretend to be flawless."

"Like the fact that I fell in love with you even more after you pole-danced in the street while drunk?" 

Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment, and she let out an embarrassed laugh, burying her face in his chest momentarily. "Oh gosh, please don't remind me of that."

"See, those are the moments that make us who we are, the beautifully imperfect human beings we're meant to be. And I wouldn't trade any of them for any picture-perfect version," Jay reassured her, his voice a gentle whisper. "Now come on, I'll make you breakfast." 

The two of them stepped out of his room before she went to take a quick shower and he went to prepare breakfast. After the shower, she made her way to the kitchen, the aroma of freshly cooked pancakes and the sizzle of bacon filling the air. "I didn't take forever, did I?" She leaned against the counter, watching him with a fond smile. 

Jay turned towards her, his eyes lighting up as he saw her. He shook his head with a playful grin. "Nah, you're right on time. And you look beautiful."

"Thank you." Her cheeks turned an even deeper shade of pink at his compliment, and she playfully rolled her eyes. "You're a smooth talker, you know?"

"Well, it's the truth. You have that 'just woke up and still look amazing' thing going on." He chuckled, flipping a pancake with a practiced flick of the wrist. "Even back in high school, you were the one who could pull off looking effortlessly cool even during early morning classes."

"You're lying." She shook her head in disbelief, walking to the window before she looked outside. "I used to roll out of bed five minutes before-" Y/N's heart dropped when she spotted a familiar person outside, someone who wasn't supposed to be there. Her eyes widened and she rushed to the door while Jay frowned and followed after her. 

"What's wrong-" His words went unfinished as Y/N swung the door open and hurried outside, her steps quick and anxious. "Y/N."

Running down the stairs, she ran outside, panting as she reached the girl in the wheelchair. "Yejin?" She whispered in disbelief, her eyes wide and her voice cracking. Jay, confused but concerned, followed her out, his eyes widening when Y/N crouched down in front of the girl. "What are you-"

But before she knew it, Yejin raised her hand and slapped Y/N across the cheek, the sound echoing through the stunned silence of the morning. Y/N's hand instinctively flew to her cheek as Jay ran to her, pulling her gently to her feet and behind him. 

"Do you even know how much Mom and Dad worried when you disappeared like that?" Yejin's fists clenched in her lap, her knuckles turning white. "We had no idea where you went, if you were safe, if you were even alive!" 

Y/N's cheek stung from the slap, but the guilt and regret she felt were even stronger. For a moment, she thought that her life would be better if she ran away from home, but facing Yejin in this moment shattered all that illusion.