36 - Amour, Romance, Bonheur

Days passed and Jay and Y/N only grew closer, their love blossoming even amidst winter. Being together on the first snow of the year was enough to make them feel like they were living in a romantic movie.

The two of them walked out of the office and got in the car before he let out a heavy sigh. "I'm nervous. What if I mess up?" Jay wanted to meet her parents to make their relationship official, but he still had a lingering anxiety about it. He had been rehearsing his introduction speech in his head, trying to come up with the perfect words that would win her parents over.

"Jay," Y/N held his hand while her thumb gently stroked his knuckles. "You don't have to be nervous. My parents are going to love you just as much as I do, I promise. You saved their daughter, remember?"

A smile tugged at the corners of his lips and he leaned over, planting a kiss on her forehead. "I hope Yejin didn't tell them what she said about me back then." Y/N winced a little at his words before she chuckled.

"Yejin actually likes you. I used to call her while crying about the fact that I blocked you and she'd always tell me that I was being a fool. She's your biggest supporter now."

"You cried," He whispered, his hand gently cupping her cheek.

"Isn't that what people do when they miss someone they love?" She replied, her hand covering his on her cheek. "But now, I have you back, and I'm never letting go again." Her smile was enough to make him relax and know for a fact that meeting her family was going to be a cherished memory.

Standing in front of their door, Y/N squeezed Jay's hand before unlocking the door and inviting him inside their cozy home. "Mom, Dad, we're home." She called out, and the sound of her voice echoed through the place. Her parents, who had been waiting in the living room, stood up to greet them. Warm smiles graced their faces as they approached Y/N and Jay.

"Welcome home, dear," Her mother took his hand, her eyes sparkling. "It's a pleasure to meet you." 

"The pleasure is all mine," He bowed politely and when her father extended his hand, he took it with a firm handshake. "Hello, sir. Thank you for having me." Then her father pulled him into a warm hug.

"Welcome home, son. Y/N had been telling us all about you," He said, patting Jay's back. "We're delighted to finally meet you in person." Jay's heart was full of love. Their welcoming made him feel as though he had found a second home, a place where his heart could rest in peace. He couldn't have asked for a more welcoming and kind-hearted family to become a part of.

"I can't believe you didn't ask about me," Yejin came out of her room, pulling her wheelchair towards them. "Did you forget about me?"

"I didn't," Jay smiled, slowly crouching to her level. "Not when Heeseung had been telling us about how you might be the one for him. You're quite famous back in Busan." Her cheeks reddened and she cleared her throat, crossing her arms in an attempt to hide her embarrassment.

"You like him too, don't you?" Y/N raised her eyebrows and her older sister nudged her side, making her laugh. Her parents smiled at the interaction and urged Jay to make himself home. 

"Actually, I wanted to give you a present. I hope you like it." He said, searching inside his pocket for something before he took out a car key, and her father frowned. "Oh, it's a car. The same model I drive. Please accept it as a token of my appreciation for welcoming me into your family."

Y/N's parents exchanged surprised glances before her father spoke, "Son, this is incredibly generous of you, but I'm afraid we can't accept such an expensive gift."

"No, no, I want you to have it," Jay handed him the keys and bowed at him. "Thank you so much for having me." And Y/N's surprised look turned into a genuine, big smile that made her parents realize just how happy Jay made her. Then they thanked him and settled in the living room where her mother set the table with homemade meals that she had prepared with love.

"Be comfortable, you're one of us now." Y/N's father said and Jay nodded politely, grateful for all their love and affection. "How are your parents doing?" 

Y/N missed one important point. She had never mentioned that Jay's parents had passed away in an accident when he was young, and now that her father asked about them, she regretted not having shared this crucial detail earlier.

"I appreciate your concern, sir," He began, glancing at Y/N who gave him a reassuring smile. "But my parents... they passed away when I was young. It's just me now, but I've been fortunate to have wonderful people like Y/N in my life." Y/N reached out and took Jay's hand, giving it a reassuring squeeze. 

Her parents looked sympathetic, and her mother said gently, "We're sorry to hear that, dear. I hope they watch over you and are proud of the person you've become." He nodded, appreciating their understanding and empathy. "It's not just you, you're one of us now. We'll be your family too." 

Jay had never thought that meeting Y/N's family would be so heartwarming, but it was, and when it was time to go back home and he sat with Y/N in his car, he couldn't stop himself from crying. "I'm sorry..." He sniffled and looked away while she reached over to gently wipe away his tears. 

"Hey, it's okay," She whispered, her voice so soft that it felt like a warm embrace. "You did great, and my family loves you. I love you."

"I now have a family, sunshine," He whispered back, his dimples deepening as he smiled through his tears. "I never thought I'd feel this way again after losing my parents, but I have a family now, and it's all thanks to you. You really saved me, every day since I met you." She smiled, kissing the back of his hand while he drove her to her place where he stepped inside and closed the door behind him.

His coat was quickly discarded, and hers too before he wrapped his arms around her and breathed in her scent. The scent of life, of hope and love rolled around them as they held each other tightly. He buried his face in the crook of her neck, inhaling deeply, and whispered, "You're my home, sunshine. You're everything I never knew I needed."

His inner child was no longer alone, standing in the rain next to his parent's grave. The scars of his past had finally started to heal, and the world smiled at him. He was a happy man, a man who had found love and a family in the most unexpected place.