24

I'm so excited for this update! Do tell me how you feel about this.

•••

Alastair's Point Of View

I look out from the dingy window of my dorm. It's raining. People associate rain with sadness and negativity, I don't. Even though it's dark and gray and lazy, rains give me a sudden surge of happiness. An adrenaline rush. It's a beautiful weather out there. Right now, I know she must be watching the rains too.

Gracie.

The name itself is enough to bring a smile to my face.

I remember the first time I saw her. She was sitting in the library, face buried in books in the second week of Freshman year. Marking out lines from a thick novel, alone, but not lonely. I always knew her as the girl who's always reading. But I never spoke to her. Why would I? I only spoke to girls I liked, girls that were hot and confident. She never asked for my attention, but she always had a bit of it.

After that accident last year, I knew I had to talk to her. What would she be like? How will a girl who doesn't drink, party every week or wear short clothes, be? She was uncharted territory, something I haven't come across before. Different. Unique. I'd never seen a girl like her.

The first day of senior year, when I saw Stuart with her, I was nervous as hell. Here was a chance to talk to her, then why am I so scared? Maybe because she isn't easy, maybe because she doesn't talk to jerks like me or maybe because there's a chance that she doesn't even know me yet?

And in my jumbled state of mind, I said some harsh words to her and messed up everything. I'm a fucking idiot. The look in her eyes, hell, it filled me with guilt.

When Mrs. Jerome called me for the fest, I wanted to refuse but then I saw the name of the people who'll be working with me and saw her's too. And after that, I agreed. I don't know why or how, but I did. That would have been the perfect time to make amends, but all I could do was look at her. And she looked at me too, innocent brown eyes telling her story.

Just when I thought things could be set right again, she saw Sassy kissing me. Something inside me compelled me to chase her and explain everything. And that was our first proper conversation.

After that, the coffee date. She was the first girl I took to that place, again, I don't know why. I've been doing things I don't have answers to since the past month. And it felt right. No one knows about that place, except for her.

I hated it when Sassy talked rudely to her, but I chose not to comment and that was what hurt her too. I had dirt on Sassy anyways and it would be right to take her down on the perfect time. And I did it too, with flourish, in front of everyone. She had confessed to me about her plan, in a drunken state. No one knows, but Sassy and I had a form of friendship-hatred relationship. We hung out, but all she did was make passes at me or fight. Maybe we were clinging to memories of what used to be of our friend circle.

Damn, the party. She looked stunning, absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't take my eyes off her, along with some other guys. I felt like smashing all of their faces in. You could look at her and tell that she's never been to a party before. No, I'm not pitying her. I just want to be the guy who introduces her to the world outside.

My hand hurts from the bruises, but if I got Gracie to care for me, it was all worth it. I'd happily jump in front of a bike again if she caresses my wounds.

Gracie. Gracie. Gracie.

Her name has been revolving around my head since the past few days. Everything about her is simple, but special. She's so mature and so smart and so sweet. Her big heart. Her forgiving nature. And she's so pretty.

Her hair is her best asset. Long, brown waves tumbling by her back and fringes at the front which I want to push back behind her ear with my fingers. But I won't touch her, she's too precious.

And then her big brown eyes which melt my heart. And her smile, damn, that is the best thing about her. Have you known someone with a smile of a million watts, which just brightens up your day and makes you smile too?

Over all, Grace had a melancholic face with a very classic look to it. And since some days, she didn't just seem pretty or cute to me, she seemed beautiful.

When she talks, it's never typical or about something silly. She talks in an intelligent manner, with great vocabulary and words that just reach out to you. She always keeps her gaze down and stays polite with everyone. This is the first time I'm seeing a girl like that. She doesn't want my fame, instead she actually listens to what I say. She doesn't care that I'm poor, she looks at the person inside me. I love how she blushes at everything I say.

She's what I've always imagined my dream girl to be like. I connect with her. God, I sound such a pussycat. I should man up.

What I know is that I'm not in love with her. Not yet. And I don't even want to. We'll be getting seperated next year. I just want to make the best of here and now. All I know is that I really, really like her. Gracie Hyde is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of person. I don't want to hurt her. I'm an asshole who doesn't deserve a girl like her. But somewhere, deep within, I want her to like me too.

I lie down my bed, thinking about my new apartment. My job. Football practice. Audrey. Mom. Dad. Gracie.