26

The classes for the day were already over because it so happened that the game against St. Matthews was quite an important one. All the students assembled in the parking lot as the football players got into the bus.

I saw Alastair standing near the gate and walked up to him.
"Hey." I said as I approached him. Even Stuart and one of the team players, Roland were standing there. Stuart gave me a grin while Roland smiled.

"Hi Grace." He cocks his head to one side and crosses his arms in front of his chest.
"All the best for today." I say as I wring my fingers in nervousness.

"Well, thank you. Meet me after the game, will you?" His voice rolls out in a drawl and I nod.
"Sure. I'll see you later." I say and smile up at him.

He smiles down warmly at me from beneath his shaggy hair.
Roland snorts from besides him and he punches his arm.

Wait, is he blushing? Oh my god, shy Alastair is so cute. I walk back to Melissa and she grills me for details while I watch Alastair from the corner of my eye.

•••

Alastair's Point Of View

I get inside the bus and sit down on the last seat. Basically, the last seat belongs to the ruler. I like being popular, I like the power.

I turn around a slight bit so that no one else notices me. I watch Grace from the spaces between the seats as she sits on the scooter. She gathers all the locks of her hair and places them in a messy bun on the top of her head. She then wears her helmet.

She is so beautiful.

And then her long legs and curves... control yourself. I turn around in my seat and place my head against the seat, trying to focus on the upcoming game.

"Look at you. You've become a puss." Roland pipes up from beside me and I give him a dirty look.
"Shut up."

"Kerr likes Gracie." Stuart sings in a stupid tone and I glare at him.
"I don't. I'm just sweet to a sweet person." I say.

"Do not deny it. This lover boy over here even brought her as a date to my party, even though it wasn't compulsary to get a date." Stuart says and I shrug.
"She's never been to a party before. I just thought, let's get her to accompany me as a friend."

"Alas-" Roland starts to say something when I raise my hand to stop him.
"Shh." I whisper as I lean forward in my seat. I think I heard someone saying Gracie's name. The two of them wisely shut up and I try to figure out the voices. I think it's Ned and Spencer.

"Merrie is hot and all, but the newest in the market is Gracie."

"Yeah man, did you look at her during York's party last week? I totally wanted her."

My blood boils and before I know it, I walk two seats forward and pull Spencer's collar to my face.
"Don't you dare speak about her like that."

Ned tries to pull us apart and Spencer glares at me before spitting out.
"Who is she to you? Another girl you can destroy? Fuck off."

I grit my teeth as I slam his head back in the seat.
"Don't speak about any girl in that manner. And don't you fucking get personal." I say before Stuart manages to pull me from him and leads me back towards the seat.

"Unlucky motherfucker." Spencer calls out from behind and I snap back.
"Asshole."

Roland and Stuart finally settle me down and after a few moments of quietness, he softly says.
"You've got it really bad."

I groan. "Fuck yes. Sue me. I like her, okay? But I don't want to fuck her or even make her my girlfriend."

"This is Gracie Hyde we're talking about. She's not easy Alastair, not is she someone you can easily woo." Roland is the voice of wisdom as usual and I sigh.

"I don't know. I just like her. Don't tell this to anyone. She's different and I haven't felt like this in a long time." I say as I run a hand through my hair.

"Have you told her about Audrey?" Stuart asks and I wince, shutting my eyes to block out the painful memories.

"No. Fuck, I didn't plan any of this. I didn't want to fall for her or think about her or look at her like she's the damn sunshine of my life, but now I do and I'm just so confused because I don't know what to do." I blabber and stop when I notice them looking at me with wide eyes.

"He's gone bro." Stuart says to Roland and he nods.
"No girl is going to screw him now. Because he's turned into a damn girl himself." Roland says and I throw the football into his face.

"I was actually sharing my problem with you guys." I roll my eyes and they sigh before coming close to me.

"Look, if you like her, tell her. Maybe she likes you too." Stuart says and I give him a blank look.
"Thanks a lot for the shitty advice."

Stuart opens his mouth to say something in his defence when Roland states,"That advice isn't actually that bad. But if you want to stay away from matters of the heart, don't give Grace false hopes. She's very innocent and not the kind of girl we deal with everyday."

"I know. I want to be with her, but at the same time I know it's not good for me. She's so pure while I have issues and a tainted heart. I have nothing to offer her." I despondently mutter and Roland clasps my shoulder.

"Maybe she does want you, flaws and wrecks and all?" He says and I smirk in disbelief.
"If only a girl like her could like a guy like me."

•••

Dedicated to Krishna for falling in love with Alastair.