29

I woke up just in time for school the next day. Instinctively, I picked up my phone and checked it. There was one text.

Alastair❤️🙈: Good morning beautiful. 🌸

I blushed. He is so cute. He thinks I am beautiful. I close my eyes and giggle, pressing the pillow to my face.

I get up and get changed. I wear a pretty frock like dress and tie my hair up with a pin. I stand in front of the mirror and look at myself. Plain, old Gracie is pretty to someone. No one has ever complimented me on my looks, apart from my family and friends who know I am insecure. Hearing it from a guy is a whole new feeling. I know it's pathetic, but I just can't stop blushing.

"Ahem. Gracie is looking in the mirror and all, growing up, I see." My mom teases me from outside the door and I shrug, trying to act nonchalant.
"I was just thinking about something."
"Something or...someone?"

I gasp and mum walks away giggling. No wonder that's where Vanessa got all her teasing skills from.
I look at make up, but then I decide against it. Alastair told me he likes me without make up. And it's not only about what he said. Why should I change myself? I've never been particularly fond of cosmetics, it should stay that way.

I eat breakfast and rush off to school after that. My mood is cheery and I feel like I'm floating on air. Even Sassy's wierd looks don't faze me as I continue humming, walking through the school corridor. I hug Melissa and high-five Ivy. I even throw the ball back to Stuart before Mr. Steward enters the class. Life is good. Now the only person left to greet is the one I want to see the most.

However all throughout the day, I do not see Alastair. All the senior classes are on one floor, that is the topmost one. Near the lockers, between the corridors, outside the classes, I see him nowhere. And this scares me. That I can't go one day without seeing him. That my mood won't be the same without him. That he's becoming a need now.

Whenever I saw Melissa upset over fights or disagreements with Albert, I would feel good to be single or out of the hassles of love. Whenever I would see Ivy watching on while Stuart fooled around, I would feel thankful to not be in a one sided relationship. There was a time when I would feel privileged to not have a broken heart. But now that I'm in the same ship, I realize how easy it is to fall for someone, but how difficult to get them to feel the same way for you. And even if by some wierd twist of fate they do like you, it's even harder to maintain a relationship.

After I've eaten in the cafeteria during break, I walk towards my locker. From the other side, I see Alastair coming towards me. My heartbeat increases involuntarily and all my sadness goes out of the window. He is speaking on the phone and I raise my hand to wave at him. He notices me, but just nods his head and walks away. I am left standing there, ignored by the person whose attention means the world to me.

In a daze, I collect my World History textbook and go to the classroom. This hurts. Rejection is not only about who turns you down after you confess your love to them. It is also about who turns away when all you do is stand for them.

He must be busy. I console myself. Few days are left for the fest, he has so much of work to do. He did acknowledge you, didn't he? Just after one night of talking, do you expect him to kiss you the next day? Stop having such high hopes. He has more important things to do.

Even in the classroom, I find myself thinking about him. If only I was like those girls who kick a guy across the curb if they feel he doesn't value them. But I'm an idiot who needs validation. Who needs love and care to feel she is worthy. Why can't I just love myself?

After the day is over, I go to the fest proceedings. I'm putting up the banners alone when someone else helps me hold it up. I look by my side to see who it is. Alastair, of course. He grins at me and it takes all of my self control to not fall for him all over again.

"Hey." He says.
"Hi." I reply simply.
"Is something wrong?" He asks genuinely.
"Aah nothing. Are you done with your work? You were busy right?"

He sighs loudly. "So this is what the balloon face is about?"
"Why will I care? I'm not someone you have to give your time to." I mutter and instantly regret it. It's true that he doesn't have to be with me, I'm not a priority. But I shouldn't make him feel guilty and make him do what he doesn't want to.

"After everything yesterday, do you still believe that you don't mean anything to me? Then I hate to say this, but Gracie, you're stupid." He says seriously and I shake my head to clear my thoughts before looking up at him.

"Forget I said that. I just felt like an idiot when you ignored me. It's not like you did it on purpose, but I just- never mind. How was your day?" I blabber as he looks on with an expression of amusement.

"I really don't know what goes on in that head of your's, but one day, I'll get in and solve all of your problems." He says. He doesn't know he's already in my head all the time and causing problems there.

"By the way, there's a local concert taking place at the city square tomorrow. Join me?"