63

"Are you sure?" I asked him, my mind bursting with a million thoughts.
"How can I be unsure of something like this?" He said. "I hope you remembered what happened then right?

Ofcourse I remembered. Howard had a girlfriend named Nicole during his high school years. He loved her quite a lot and was pretty serious. Something went wrong and the next thing I know was that Nicole went wagging her tail behind another guy.

Howard was extremely hurt and angry and he chose to believe that this guy, now Alastair as I got to know, charmed her for using her. Personally I always knew that this Nicole was a bitch. She didn't deserve someone as sweet as Howard. There had been a supposed fight but then I had no idea of it. I wasn't exactly the gossiper. I wouldn't even have known of this fight that had taken place at our school had my own brother not told me of it.

By then, Howard had chucked the pillow aside and walked off out of my room. And I was stuck here, thinking of what I was even supposed to think of.

Alastair's Point Of View.
I had been ignoring Grace's calls, of reasons unknown to me. I guess I just needed time to process my thoughts. This was no big deal, obviously. But Howard hated me, and I'm no peacemaker, everyone knows that. The problem is, Gracie will expect me to be friends with her brother and hang out with him, which I really can't do. I mean, I can't stand being around with people who look at me loathing glares. I shouldn't have left her like that. I'm still feeling shitty about what happened over there, how I should have at least said goodbye. But I just over reacted I guess and came scampering over here like a puss. She's called me 5 times uptil now. Gracie might get jealous when she sees other girls around me, but she's not clingy. After 5 calls, she might just have let me be and given my space. It helped. And that Howard might have also told her about the Nicole issue, in his own version obviously. So much of explaining to do. What a mess.
I called Grace up. She picked up on the fourth ring.

"Alastair?" Her sweet timid voice hit my ear.
"Grace. I'm sorry baby, for leaving you like that." I said.
"It's okay." She says softly. Ever the understanding and mature girl. That big heart and forgiving nature, that's what drew me towards her.

"Alastair I need to ask you something." She said after a pause.
"I know right. Speak up." I said, firm.
"We need to meet. It's just not something that can happen over the phone."

"So where are we meeting?" I ask.
"My place?" She says.
"With your brother. Seriously?" I say, flinching.

"Alastair, please. And if you drop by today evening, he'll be gone for his walk. So you two won't clash. Come over." She says politely.
"Okay I'm coming." I say and cut off the phone.

Gracie's Point Of View.
I pace around the hallway, chewing my finger. Howard has left for his walk. While going also he gave me one look, which said a lot of things. He was serious about this. He actually wanted me to break up with Alastair.

Around 5:45 pm, the doorbell rang. I opened the door. He was standing there, looking as dishevelled and as hot as possible. I ushered him in and took him to my room. He entered and flopped on the bed.

I stood at the bed end and folded my hands across my chest. "So what is your problem with Howard?"
He raised one eyebrow and asked,"Seriously are you asking me that?"

I sighed. "Please tell me. Did you actually trap Nicole?"
He gave me an absurd look. "How can I just trap her? Is she an insect or something? Look Gracie, let me make a few things very clear. Howard was dating Nicole, who is a cheater. She saw me playing at a game at their school and she was the cheerleader there. She clung to me and then started harbouring a crush on me. I flatly refused but then she kept on trying and when Howard confronted her on the basis of what he had heard, so she said that I approached her since I was known to be a player. Howard threatened me, spoke shit about me and did all sorts of things. Now in all of this, tell me where do I figure?"

I took a few deep breathes. Actually he was right, if he was telling the truth.
"Are you speaking the truth Alastair?" I asked him.

"Grace don't you even trust me now?" He asked, a hint of hurt in his eyes.
Wrong question. "Okay I'm sorry. I do trust you."

He smiled. "Now come to me. Haven't had you in my arms since years."
"Years huh? Exaggeration." I scoffed.
"It feels like years though." He says as he wraps his hands around me.
I snuggle up in the crook of his neck. "I missed you." I whispered.
"I missed you too. So I'm here." He said.

"Alastair, will you do something for me?"
"Anything."
"Talk to Howard please."
"Grace you know he won't talk to me. He really loathes me."
"Maybe he'll forgive you. It's been almot four years since that happened. I really want my boyfriend and brother to get along."
"I wish."
"I'm serious."
"So am I."
"Can't you even try?"
He rubbed his forehead in exasperation.

"Okay I will. But if he acts like a stuck up banana then it's not my fault."
"I love you."
"I know."

We spent some more time talking and then we went down. Just as Alastair was about to leave after meeting mom and Vanessa, Howard entered through the door.

Alastair's and Howard's eyes met. They gave each other a stare which was enough to freeze everything up. The tension in the air was so thick that it could be cut up with a knife.

"Howard." Alastair smirked.
"Kerr." Howard grimaced.
Alastair walked towards him in his usual rampwalk style and stood close to him. "How's life?"

"Much better." Howard smirked.
"Really?" Alastair raises his perfect eyebrow once again.
"Oh yeah. And are you still into stealing people's girlfriends?"

"Well hey they come to me leaving their boyfriends. That's not my issue, is it?"
Howard gave him a sharp glare. I gulped and came in between them. They looked at me simultaneously.
"Howard." I said turning to look at him,"This is Alastair, my boyfriend."
Alastair held out his right hand and pulled me towards him with his left one.

Howard stared on. I turned towards Alastair. "Alastair, this is my cousin brother, Howard."
Howard extended his hand and shook Alastair's. This might be a friendly gesture but oh my, I could feel the rising spirits I might have to handle for the next few days.