30

You can imagine the leads anyway you want, but if you refer to the cast, then think of Bella Thorne before her lips got all wierd, with browner hair and Alex Pettyfer a little younger, with shades of brown in his hair

•••

"I don't think I'll be able to come. Concerts really aren't my thing. Even you won't be able to have fun if I come. I'd rather stay at home and eat." I honestly reply and he sighs.

"You never wanted to go out and enjoy?" He asks.
"No. I am aware that my life is boring, but I like boring. I'm okay with it." I say and he cocks his head to the side and looks at me with fondness.
"Really different, aren't you?"

"You could say that."
"So let's do one thing, are you free tomorrow?"
"I'm always free."
"I'll come over to your house tomorrow, if that's okay with you, and we'll hang out."

I look at him. "You will?"
He gives me a dreamy, heartwarming smile. "Of course."

I smile back at him and I want to nuzzle into his chest, feel his stubble on my hair. But I control myself. I want so many things from life, but I won't complain. Maybe because life hasn't blessed many with what I have.

"You're so nice." I say and he chuckles.
"Am I?"
"Yes. You're a very sweet and warm person." I say as I rest my head back and stare at the sky.

"You really don't know Grace, you really don't know."

•••

I enter Vanessa's room and see her adjusting her bed. Now, that's something new. She never really cares about anything, leaving her room messy.

I flop down on the bed as she wipes the shelves.
"Hey Van." I put my hands behind my back.
"Eek, get up. You're spoiling the bedding!" She shrieks and stomps over to me. Taking my wrist, she pulls me up and pushes me towards the door.

"You're so violent." I say, rubbing my wrists.
"You don't know how much time and pain it took me to push all the edges of the bedsheet below the mattress." She gives me a dirty look and I hold my hands up in surrender.

"What's wrong with you all of a sudden? Are you on your periods?" I say as I pull out the chair and sit on it.
"Put the chair back in. I want the room to be perfect." She says and I get up and push the chair back in.

"Where should I sit?"
"Keep standing."
I twirl my hair round my finger as I lean against the wall. Then she'll ask me to get away since the walls will get spoiled. Jeez, girls nowadays.

"Why are you becoming so OCD all of a sudden?" I ask her and she runs a hand through her already crazy hair.
"Simon is coming home today." She says and I smile at her.
"You guys are dating?" I ask. I feel a bit hurt, the Vanessa I knew would have told me this at the earliest.

"Not yet. I think he'll ask me out soon." She says and blushes.
Aah, better.
"Have you told mom about this?" I ask her in an I-am-your-elder-sister-even-though-it-may-not-seem-like-that way.
"Of course Grace! Don't make it seem like he's coming over to spend the night." She yelps and I laugh, pulling her cheek. She's so cute. It's always been that way; Vanessa is the beauty, and Gracie is the brains.

"How are things with Alastair?" She asks and I feel blood rushing to my face.
"He's coming tomorrow." I say and she shrieks, jumping on the bed.
"You're ruining the bedding." I say wryly.
"Fuck the bedding. Are you two a thing already?" She asks me with gleaming eyes.

"No Van, don't think too much. He's a friend. Just like Ivy is, just like Mel is."
"The mention of Ivy or Mel doesn't get you all knotted up." She says with a knowing grin and I give her a blank look.

"There's nothing between us Van." I say as I start to leave.
"Keep saying that to yourself." She says and I poke my tongue out at her.
"Don't forget to use protection!" She yells as I slam the door. I shut my ears and cover my face even though no one is watching.

•••

In the evening, I open the door and Simon comes in at sharp seven o'clock. I appreciate punctuality, a quality few people possess.
"Hey Gracie." He says nervously tapping his foot, playing with the flowers in his hands.

"Hello. Come in." I smile warmly as I hold the door open for him. Since mum has gone to visit a sick aunt in the hospital, I've assumed the duty of a host. And also the judge of my sister's to-be-boyfriend.

Vanessa comes bouncing from the kitchen and hugs Simon. His eyes dart to mine before he holds her waist. I get a little queasy, but then I shouldn't, it's just a friendly hug. I can't even disapprove or else I'll be known as Van's grandma instead of her sister.

Van looks gorgeous in a yellow dress and Simon complements her well. They look lovely together.
"I think I should leave you guys now. The dinner is ready and do call me if you guys need help." I say politely and the both smile at me, Vanessa's is more like seeking approval. I nod reassuringly at her and her grin brightens up even more.

I go to my room and pull open the curtains as I grab a copy of Danielle Steele from my shelf. Melissa and Albert, Vanessa and Simon, people around me are drowning in love. Even I want to experience it. It would be nice to have someone have a crush on me. I want to know what it feels like. Not that I want a boyfriend, just someone who cares, someone who is not from my family or a girl. My heart whispers Alastair's name. But it isn't possible. I am not for him, nor is he for me.

Aagh, I sound so desperate. I should suck it up. Come on Grace, you're an independent woman.

But at times, I want someone to fall back on, too.