Chapter 2

Soft blue, yellow, and pink swam together in the sky, tiny clouds spread through the sky like pine needles on the forest floor. The camp was quiet, with only Sunstar sitting in front of the highrock, looking deep in thought.

Bluefur sat outside the nursery as she waited for Oakheart to arrive. Tiredness weighed at her paws. She looked down at her belly and self-consciously licked the soft fur.

"It's too cold to be just sitting there," Rosetail called, padding over to Bluefur's side. Her red tail looked like fire in the morning sunlight. "What got you up so early?"

Bluefur opened her mouth to respond, but a tawny pelt entering the camp captured her focus. Oakheart had arrived.

"Oakheart? What is he doing here?" The fur on Rosetail's neck began to rise and she unsheathed her claws. Hostile murmurs radiated from her Clanmates, who had begun to leave their dens.

"I would like to speak with Sunstar." Oakheart's mew rang through the clearing.

Sunstar flicked his tail, signaling for Oakheart to approach.

Oakheart sat in front of Sunstar and dipped his head. "I apologize for entering your camp unannounced," he began. "Please hear what I have to say."

Sunstar nodded curtly. Most of the Clan was awake now, standing and muttering outside their dens. Some growled, but none spoke directly.

"I have taken Bluefur as my mate and she is expecting kits. We have broken the warrior code by being together, but I can't bear to be separated from her while she raises our kits. I wish to join ThunderClan."

There was silence for a moment.

"Traitor!" Tigerclaw hissed furiously, facing Bluefur with his claws extended. "You do know him! How long has this been going on?"

Bluefur ignored him. Sunstar hissed for him to be quiet.

Sunstar spoke at last. "Why should we take you in? You broke the warrior code. How are we supposed to trust you?"

"I will prove myself. I know I will need to earn my place amongst my Clanmates, and I am willing to do whatever it takes." Oakheart kept his head high as he spoke. "I love Bluefur. I need more than I need anything to be with our kits."

Sunstar regarded him carefully, saying nothing.

"Kits need a mother and father." Windflight's mew was loud and clear. "It would be cruel to rob these kits of having both their parents because of their mistake."

"How could we ever trust a cat who's been our enemy for so long?" Thistleclaw growled.

"Thistleclaw has a point," Sunstar admitted.

Horror gripped Bluefur. The ground swayed beneath her paws. She felt like it would open up and swallow her any second. Fear for her mate shot through her like lightning. What would Oakheart do if ThunderClan rejected him? He'd have to be a loner. RiverClan would never take him back.

"I respect your decision, Sunstar, whatever it may be." Oakheart blinked slowly. "All I want is to be with Bluefur. Although we have broken the warrior code, I want to make things right now."

Sunstar held his gaze for what felt like a lifetime. Contemplation flickered in his eyes.

Please.

"Alright," he finally mewed. "But there will be conditions."

Relief washed over Bluefur, heavy as a wave, nearly knocking her down. She exhaled deeply, realizing how tense she had been.

Mossdapple's FaithOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara