Chapter 3

"Bluefur, wake up."

Bluefur woke to Oakheart nuzzling her cheek. A half moon had passed since his arrival. Bluefur had spent most of it asleep in the nursery, struggling with exhaustion at the weight of her kits.

"Not long now," Featherwhisker had told her.

Oakheart nuzzled her again. "There's a Clan meeting. Would you like to participate?"

Bluefur slowly stood, falling off balance momentarily while getting up. The kits made her clumsy and awkward, and she was relieved Oakheart was by her side to catch her. She leaned on him until they made it to the clearing, where they sat side by side in front of the Highrock.

"Cats of ThunderClan," Sunstar began, "Our medicine cat, Goosefeather, has decided to retire to the elder's den. Featherwhisker will be taking his place."

Murmurs rippled through the Clan. Goosefeather was an old cat, and since the death of Moonflower he had lost the trust of many of her Clanmates. She felt somewhat relieved that the much more reliable Featherwhisker would be taking his place.

Bluefur looked at Goosefeather, who was staring right at her. Her gaze traveled to a branch behind Sunstar. It was on fire! It glittered in gold and orange, turning the branch black and glowing under it. Bluefur stared at it, too stunned to speak. She blinked and the fire was gone.

Trembling, she leaned against Oakheart.

"Is everything okay?" he mewed, pressing his pelt against her. "You're shaking." Bluefur just nodded.

"Additionally," he continued once the Clan had settled down, "Spottedpaw has requested to take the position of medicine cat apprentice.

"So soon after Goosefeather's retirement?" Oakheart whispered. "I wonder how Goosefeather feels about that."

Bluefur agreed, but was pleased. The pretty young she-cat would make a great medicine cat. She radiated warmth and compassion, traits which were valuable in that type of work.

"Spottedpaw! Spottedpaw!" Yowls of approval rang through the Clan. Bluefur joined in. "Spottedpaw!"

"That is all. Thank you for attending. Please return to your duties," Sunstar said, jumping off the Highrock.

"We're not going to talk about the fish-eater we've brought in?" Tigerclaw growled.

"Oakheart has been a good warrior and done nothing but support the Clan and Bluefur," Sunstar snapped. "Nobody has any reason to doubt him."

Tigerclaw scoffed and sulked to the warriors den.

Bluefur looked at Oakheart with concern. He held his head high, seeming determined not to let their Clanmates doubt get to them. Bluefur suspected they had been giving him more trouble than he let on, but she had spent so much of her time asleep in the nursery that it was hard for her to know for sure.

Oakheart helped Bluefur in returning to the nursery. On their way there, they were stopped by Thistleclaw.

"How can you expect to be accepted in ThunderClan when all you do is coop up in the nursery with your precious mate?"

Oakheart kept his tone even, despite his bothered appearance. "I've finished my patrols for the day. I want to spend time with Bluefur before the kits come. I need to take care of her."

"Bluefur and your half-Clan kits," he sneered. "You have responsibilities to ThunderClan, too. Or do you think you can sneak off on your own?"

Oakhearts ears twitched at the accusation. "I will do anything I can to prove my loyalty to ThunderClan," he said, forcing his pelt to lay flat. "But I need to take care of my mate." He brushed past him, towards Bluefur, and into the nursery. Thistleclaw hissed back at them.