Chapter 16

"Try aiming higher, Stonepaw."

Mosspaw watched as her brother and sister practiced fighting each other. She shivered at the thought of having to use those moves on other cats. The injuries that came from them would take so many resources to treat.

"Mosspaw, do you want a turn?"

Mosspaw glanced up at Rosetail. "Err, I guess," she mewed awkwardly. Featherwhisker insisted on training her in basic battle moves, despite her training in StarClan.

"You need to try them on living cats," he had insisted.

"Try attacking me," Mistypaw provoked. "Pretend I'm going to destroy your herb storage."

Filled with rage at the thought of her hard work being destroyed, Mosspaw launched herself at her sister. Mistypaw toppled backwards but quickly regained her balance, then rolled on the ground in an attempt to get Mosspaw off.

Mosspaw anticipated the move though, and grasped on harder, kicking her sister's chest as she rolled. Mistypaw let out a yowl of frustration and Mosspaw lessened her grip.

Mistypaw took the opportunity to shake her off, but Mosspaw landed on four paws and leapt back at her, knocking her over and pinning her down by the throat.

"Do you surrender?" Mosspaw taunted.

"Get off me!" Mistypaw growled.

Mosspaw stepped off her sister, who awkwardly stood up and shook her head.

"Beaten by a medicine cat? And on her first fight?" Stonepaw teased.

"Shut up!" Mistypaw hissed. Her gaze softened as she realized what she had said. "I'm sorry!"

"It's okay," Stonepaw mewed, gently batting her ear. "We'll just have to keep practicing!"

Guilt surged through Mosspaw. She hadn't told her siblings about her power or training in StarClan yet. Snowfur had walked her through a similar fight just days before.

"Let's try again!"

Mosspaw stepped forward, getting ready to bat her paws at her opponent. But just before she could strike, she froze from horror.

"Look out!" she screeched. But nobody was there. Mistypaw, Stonepaw, and their mentors were all gone. Mosspaw was alone, in front of the biggest creature she had ever seen. It was orange, as bright as a sunset, and covered in black stripes. It looked like a cat, but larger, with giant, sharp claws. It's mouth was dripping in blood, creating a pool at it's feet. It snarled at Mosspaw.

"Help!"

"Mosspaw!"

Mosspaw blinked and Mistypaw was in front of her, her eyes round with concern. Mosspaw's fur was fluffed out, making her look twice her size, and she glanced frantically back and forth.

It was a vision. But what did it mean?

"I- I need to go," she stuttered, backing up. The other cats in the clearing stared at her, all with worry glittering in their gaze.

"What happened? Did you get a vision?" Mistypaw questioned.

Mosspaw turned around and ran back to the camp as fast as she could, not stopping for a second to see if there was anything around her. Shaken, she skidded into the camp, frantically searching for Featherwhisker or Spottedpaw. She saw them sharing a mouse.

"Featherwhisker!" she called, attracting the attention of her Clanmates. "Medicine den, now," she panted.

"What's going on?" Spottedpaw followed them. Mosspaw didn't dare say a word until they were safely alone in the medicine clearing.