Chapter 7

"Sunningrocks is under attack!"

Bluefur woke with a start, instinctively pulling her kits closer. Goldenflower's yowl rang clear through the camp, and Bluefur heard the scramble of patrols being put together and sent off.

"What's going on?" Mistykit mumbled, yawning.

"Nothing, little one, go back to sleep," Bluefur whispered.

Where was Oakheart?

Would Sunstar send him on one of the patrols?

No! He couldn't!

Bluefur pushed the thought from her mind. He must be out hunting. He'd be home soon. He had to be.

"Worried about Sunningrocks?" White-eye asked. Her kits, Mousekit and Runningkit, were stirring at her belly.

"Is there going to be a battle?" Runningkit squeaked, looking up at his mother.

White-eye ignored him. "It's natural to be nervous. I'm sure Oakheart will be alright."

"Do you think Sunstar sent him?" Bluefur fretted.

"He might have. It would show where his loyalties lie. You could always ask."

"Oakheart's loyalties lie here!" Bluefur's fur bristled.

White-eye blinked. "Of course."

"Can we fight in the battle?" Stonekit was wriggling out of the nest and batting Mistykit's ears. She covered them with her paws.

"Get off," she mumbled, nuzzling into Bluefur.

"I'm a RiverClan warrior trying to take Sunningrocks!"

Mistykit raised her head. "No way!"

Stonekit launched himself at her, toppling into Bluefur. She let out a soft hiss of warning and Mistykit chased Stonekit out of the den. She shook her head fondly. They seemed to have recovered from learning about their father's origin Clan a moon earlier. Mosskit was still laying at her belly, her bright blue eyes gazing up at Bluefur.

"Is Oakheart going to be okay?" she asked, concern filling her voice.

"Oakheart's fine, my dear," Bluefur assured her. "Oakheart will be just fine."

The day dragged on while Bluefur waited for Oakheart to return home. She hadn't seen him since sunhigh, and the sun was beginning to drop below the trees.

Stonekit and Mistykit had returned to the den. "Where's Oakheart?" Mistykit asked.

"He'll be home soon," Bluefur promised. But she was wondering how much longer it would be.

She wriggled out of the nest and sat in front of the nursery entrance. It was cold and somber, with few cats standing around muttering to each other.

Finally, cats began to trickle in through the camp entrance. She saw Whitestorm and Thistleclaw, followed by Adderfang and Tigerclaw, and finally Oakheart behind them. All the cats had mild injuries, except for one.

Oakheart.

Bluefur launched herself towards her mate.

"What in the name of StarClan happened to you?" Bluefur stared at his wounds. He had deep gashes down his sides and on his shoulders, and a torn ear. Bluefur began licking him fiercely.

Oakheart's eyes were hollow. "I'll tell you later," he mumbled.

"Who did this to you? I'll shred them-"