Chapter 14

"What are the other medicine cats like?"

"They're like us, mostly. Just a little different," Spottedpaw explained. "You'll like them. Yellowfang is a bit crabby, though."

"Are there any other apprentices?"

"Runningnose, I guess. But he's older."

"The others are Barkface from WindClan and Mudfur from RiverClan, right?

"Right."

Mosspaw sighed. "I'm nervous."

Spottedpaw purred. "You'll be fine! Just be yourself."

I don't know what 'myself' is like, Mosspaw thought.

They began to see the other medicine cats in the distance. They were standing in front of a giant cave, with gray stones hanging high above. The ThunderClan cats were the last to arrive, and Mosspaw knew it was because she was slow and out of shape.

"We better hurry," an unusual looking cat grumbled. Her fur was gray and messy, and her face was broad and flat. "The moon will be passing soon."

"We have time," Featherwhisker argued. "I have a new apprentice to introduce."

"And you're sure StarClan has accepted her?" A dark brown tom asked, staring at Mosspaw.

"Positive, Barkface. This is Mosspaw." Featherwhisker pointed with his tail at each of the cats. "That's Barkface. And that's Mudfur," he pointed at a cat with light brown fur and amber eyes. "And Yellowfang," he gestured at the cat with the broad face. "And Runningnose." Runningnose looked a bit like Mosspaw, but his fur was gray with white spots instead of white with gray spots. His nose was crusted and wet.

"Nice to meet you all," Mosspaw mewed politely, Spottedpaw stifled a purr.

"Can we get on with it?" Yellowfang growled, stepping into the looming, dark cave in front of them.

Featherwhisker rolled his eyes and stepped into the cave. Mosspaw followed closely behind him, worried about getting lost in the darkness.

"We're almost there," Spottedpaw whispered.

After what felt like moons of walking in darkness, they approached a glowing blue crystal, which stretched up halfway to the ceiling.

"Wow," Mosspaw breathed.

"Mosspaw, touch your nose to the stone," Featherwhisker instructed. Mosspaw stepped forward and touched her nose to the crystal, which felt ice cold.

"Now lay down and go to sleep." Featherwhisker and Spottedpaw touched their noses and laid down next to her. Mosspaw closed her eyes.

When she opened them, she was in the familiar lush forest of StarClan.

"Welcome, Mosspaw," Snowfur mewed, stepping out of the overgrowth. She was followed by the small tortoiseshell cat she had seen at the StarClan meeting, and a white, fuzzy cat that Mosspaw had never seen before.

"What are we going to do?" Mosspaw asked. She was used to visiting the starry forest, but she wasn't sure what to do this time.

It has to be special, right?

"We have something to teach you. Close your eyes," the white cat mewed.

Mosspaw took a deep breath and closed her eyes.

"Long ago, all the cats that live in the forest, by the river, and in the moors lived together in a faraway mountain."

A mountain, as tall as the clouds, appeared in front of Mosspaw. She was staggered by the sheer size of it, and the cold winds against her fur kept her locked in place.