Epilogue

Mossdapple, Mistyfoot, and Stonefur walked through the forest. The overgrowth was greener than ever and lush with newleaf.

"A kittypet in ThunderClan," Mistyfoot mewed. "I don't know what Bluestar was thinking."

Stonefur shrugged. "Is it that crazy? We need warriors."

Mistyfoot stopped. "Maybe we don't need to recruit kittypets for that to happen," she mewed softly.

Mossdapple stared at her sister. Her eyes were pulled to her stomach.

"Mistyfoot..."

Stonefur turned around. "What?"

"She's expecting kits, mouse-brain!" Mossdapple pressed herself against her sister and licked her ear. "How long have you known?"

"Spottedleaf just told me," Mistyfoot purred.

Stonefur turned and stared at Mistyfoot. "Who's the father?"

Mossdapple looked at Stonefur. He had a point. Was there any tom that Mistyfoot was close with?

"I'm raising them alone," Mistyfoot mewed sternly.

Stonefur stared at her for another few heartbeats before approaching her and butting his head into her cheek. "That's wonderful news," he purred.

Mossdapple pulled away. "Have you thought about names?"

"Yep," Mistyfoot purred. "I was thinking of names that remind me of the river. For Oakheart," she added.

"That's a great idea," Mossdapple purred. "He'll love that!"

The three of them walked back to the camp together. Mossdapple reminisced on her time with Birchface. She had cut down her StarClan visits substantially. She now visited twice a moon- once at the half-moon gathering, and once on the new moon. She was healthier than she had been since she was a kit, and her connection with her family and Clan had changed drastically.

Mossdapple was happy. Happier than she had ever been. She missed Birchface, but the way her life had changed for the better was worth it. Besides, she knew she would see him again one day.

   Mossdapple gazed at the stars as she laid in the medicine den. They sparkled above her, welcoming and waiting.

Many seasons had passed since she had last seen Birchface. She spent her whole life missing him, but had some peace knowing she would see him again one day. She felt that day was coming soon now. Sickness ravaged her body after she caught an unknown ailment from a patient who had long since passed away.

"Cinderpelt!" Mossdapple called.

The young gray medicine cat, covered in tansy, poked her head out from the medicine store. "Yes?"

"Call my kin, will you?"

She stared at her for a moment before blinking. "Why?"

Mossdapple let out a feeble wheeze. "It's time."

"What?" She stepped forward, shaking the petals from her pelt. "No, Mossdapple-"

"Please," she rasped.

The she-cat hesitated before leaving the den. Mossdapple took in her surroundings. The medicine had changed very little over the course of her life, everything kept neatly in the same spots, her nest never moving.

But other things had changed. Bluestar had ascended to StarClan, and laid at peace with Oakheart. Mossdapple missed her mother every day, finding it difficult to resist the urge to visit StarClan every day after she died. But she managed to push through, knowing how addicting the peaceful realm could be.

Mistyfoot had become a mother to four beautiful kits- Primrosepetal, Reedwhisker, Perchtail, and Pikesplash had grown to be fine warriors of ThunderClan. Mistyfoot had remained determined to raise them alone, and no tom ever stepped up as their father.

Mossdapple suspected she would know why soon.

Stonefur never took a mate, remaining an independent warrior for his whole life, at least until now. He had become deputy for a while, but stepped down to retire to the elders den. He loved his kin dearly, always offering Mistyfoot help when her kits were young and teaching them to hunt as apprentices. Mossdapple knew her sister was very grateful for her brother.

"Mossdapple?"

A familiar gray muzzle poked forward into the medicine clearing, followed by five more warriors. Mistyfoot touched her nose to Mossdapple's ear.

"I never thought we'd have to say goodbye," she whispered.

"Only for now, my dear sister," Mossdapple whispered back. "We will meet again one day."

Stonefur approached her next. "Tell Oakheart he still owes me another fishing lesson." He joked, but his voice carried great sadness.

"I will," Mossdapple promised.

One by one, Mistyfoot's kits approached and mewed their goodbyes. Mossdapple touched noses to each of them.

Feeling more at peace than ever before, she laid her head to rest and closed her eyes, letting darkness consume her.

Mossdapple opened her eyes to the ever-familiar realm of StarClan. But this time was different- she would remain here forever. The weight of the change nearly knocked her off her paws.

Mossdapple stood and looked ahead. She was alone. Confused, she looked from side to side. Was StarClan not going to accept her?

After a moment, cats began to enter from the bracken, their pelts glowing with starlight. Mossdapple instantly recognized Bluestar and Oakheart, walking with their tails twined together, and ran to greet them.

"My precious daughter," Bluestar whispered. "It's so good to see you again."

"We've missed you," Oakheart added, licking her forehead like a kit.

Mossdapple basked in their scent and warmth and nuzzled them each on the cheek.

When she pulled away, she recognized more old friends, Snowfur, Sweetpaw, Spottedleaf, and Cloudberry all ran to greet her, surrounding her with love. Mossdapple touched noses with all of them, drinking in their scents.

But one cat was missing. The one she loved the most, the one she missed more than anyone.

Mossdapple pulled away, scanning the clearing. Where was he? Wasn't he going to greet her?

She frantically looked around the clearing. Finally, far in the back, she saw him.

Birchface.