Chapter 11

"Today we're going to go hunting with Mistypaw and Rosetail."

Mosspaw suppressed a sigh of disappointment. Half a moon had passed and she had been stuck doing warrior apprentice duties.

"Don't look so downcast," Thrushpelt teased. "You'll be fine!"

Last time they had gone hunting, Mosspaw had returned to camp empty pawed. She dozed off while stalking a mouse and crashed head first into a tree.

"As long as I don't make a mouse-brain out of myself," she muttered.

Rosetail approached them and stood next to Thrushpelt. Mistypaw bounced up beside her, excitement filling her gaze.

"This is going to be so much fun!" she mewed. "Mosspaw, I bet I'll catch more than you!"

I bet you will too, Mosspaw thought.

They left the camp and entered the forest. Newleaf surrounded them, the trees covered in blossoms and the scent of dew and prey laying heavily over them.

I wonder what kind of herbs grow in newleaf, she thought. I know daisies and dandelions grow in the clearing outside camp, but what else could there be?

"Mosspaw!" Thrushpelt's harsh tone interrupted her thoughts. "Can't you smell that mouse?"

She tasted the air. It was thick with the scent of mouse, and Mosspaw's ears turned red when she realized she had totally missed it. She dropped into a hunting crouch.

"Keep your tail still," Thrushpelt corrected.

Mosspaw struggled to keep her tail from fidgeting. She spotted the mouse, nice and plump, and began to stalk it. It was gnawing on a piece of grass, unaware of her presence. She crept closer to it, but the sound of a twig snapping came from under her and the mouse dashed off. She let out a yowl of frustration.

"Better luck next time," Thrushpelt mewed, but Mosspaw could tell he was more irritated than he let on. That mouse could have fed half the elders.

Mistypaw came up from behind them with a sparrow in her jaws. She let out a proud trill and set it on the ground. "Look what I got!"

"Very good!" Thrushpelt praised. Rosetail followed from behind her.

"She's a natural," she boasted.

Mosspaw's tail dropped. Would she ever be as good as her sister? Would she ever be good at hunting at all?

They continued through the woods. Mosspaw managed to catch a shrew, but though the forest was teeming with prey she couldn't manage to sneak up on anything. Thrushpelt had been patient, but as they returned to camp she could feel his disappointment.

"I'm sorry," she muttered.

"It's alright," he mewed, giving her a quick lick on the ear. "We can get some practice in tomorrow!"

Mosspaw stalked over to the medicine clearing. Spottedpaw was sitting at the entrance, licking her paw and swiping it over her ear.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, watching Mosspaw approach.

"I'm awful at warrior training!" she complained. "I can't do anything right. I'll never be as good as Stonepaw or Mistypaw. All I want is to be Featherwhisker's apprentice, too."

Spottedpaw's gaze was filled with compassion. "I wish you could be, too. Maybe you should talk to Featherwhisker. He visited the Moonstone last night."

Mosspaw's ears perked up in interest. Maybe StarClan had told him something about her.

"Where is he?" Mosspaw's paws prickled with anticipation.

"He's with Tawnyspots."

Mosspaw trotted into the medicine den and found Featherwhisker hanging over Tawnyspots with his eyes closed.

"Featherwhisker?"

The tom opened his eyes and looked at her, his eyes clouded with grief.

"Mosspaw," he muttered. "Fetch Sunstar."

Realization struck Mosspaw. "Is he..."

"Just go, please."

Mosspaw dashed out of the medicine clearing and towards Sunstar's den.

"Sunstar!" she yowled. "Sunstar, are you here?"

A few heartbeats later, he poked his head out of the den.

"What is it?"

"Featherwhisker called for you, I think Tawnyspots is..."

His eyes grew wide and they rushed back to the medicine den. Spottedpaw was inside now, her muzzle buried in Tawnyspot's fur.

"He's dead," Featherwhisker announced. "He died in his sleep."

Sunstar padded over to Tawnyspot's body. "He was a great warrior. StarClan will honor him." His voice was strong, but Mosspaw could see his paws trembling.

Featherwhisker leaned against Sunstar. "Thistleclaw will be a good deputy. The Clan is in good hands."

"I suppose I should call a Clan meeting," Sunstar muttered, leading them out of the den and jumping on the Highrock.

"Cats of ThunderClan," he began as the Clan gathered around him. "It falls upon me to deliver sorrowful news. Tawnyspots has joined the ranks of StarClan."

Shocked murmurs spread over the Clan. Dappletail wailed in grief and fell to the ground, and Thrushpelt padded next to her, slowly rasping his tongue over her head. Windflight sat still next to them, his eyes shut.

Sunstar waited for the commotion to settle down. "Tawnyspots will be remembered for many seasons to come for his strength, courage, and unwavering loyalty. Whoever wishes to sit vigil is welcome to."

Sunstar stepped down from the Highrock. The members of the Clan dispersed into groups, sharing stories of their memories. Mosspaw didn't know Tawnyspots, but knew how much he had meant to the Clan.

"Mosspaw," Featherwhisker called. "Walk with me." The gray tom stood close to the gorse tunnel, beckoning her with his tail.

Wondering what he had to say away from the camp, Mosspaw walked next to him as they exited the camp. The scents of the forest filled her nostrils, and gentle birdsong echoed between the trees.

"Tawnyspot's death is a great loss to the Clan," he mewed. "He will be greatly missed."

Mosspaw nodded, not knowing what to add.

"I will see him again when I visit the Moonstone," he sighed.

"You've struggled with your warrior training,"

Mosspaw tripped over a stone. "I- I'm not very good at anything."

"But you have a special connection with StarClan, and a keen interest in plants," he observed. "Is that right?"

Mosspaw's paws tingled. "I want to know everything about herbs!"

"Do you want to be a medicine cat?"

"Yes!" she blurted out. "I want to be a medicine cat more than anything. I can't think of a more amazing way to serve my Clan!"

Featherwhisker's ear twitched. "You caught my eye from the day you were born, Mosspaw. I always thought you'd follow this path eventually. But a Clan never has more than two medicine cats."

"Spottedpaw can help teach me. I'll catch up to her!"

"I'm sure you will," he mewed, amusement in his voice. "But it won't be easy. Do you think you can handle it?"

"Yes!" Excitement flooded over her. "I'll work hard to learn. I promise, you won't regret it."

"Very well, then." He stopped. "You will be the newest medicine cat apprentice."