Chapter 18

"Bluefur, walk with me."

Bluefur walked alongside him. The memories of the times he had spoken to her after Moonflower and Snowfur's deaths came running back.

"Why have you called me this time?"

He sighed. Bluefur realized how much her former mentor had aged. Battle had cost him three lives, and sickness had taken two.

Was this how she wanted to spend her days? Making ThunderClan feared and strong, fighting to keep her Clan safe?

She knew the answer. StarClan had chosen her path.

They walked through the bracken, ducking under branches and stepping over a stream. Sunstar led the way with purpose in his gait.

"Are you ready to take on deputyship?"

Bluefur stopped dead in her tracks. This was it. The moment she had been waiting for for so many seasons. The moment she had feared would never come.

"Thistleclaw's death has marked difficult times for ThunderClan. We need a strong deputy to take his place. Will you be that deputy?"

"Despite my betrayal?"

"You never set out to betray your Clan, Bluefur. And you made that right long ago."

Bluefur gazed at her mentor.

"Are you ready?"

She blinked. "I'm ready."

Sunstar stood in front of the Highrock with Bluefur by his side. Snow dappled the clearing, turned pink by the setting sun.

"Though Thistleclaw will be dearly missed, ThunderClan lives on. Bluefur," Sunstar touched Bluefur's shoulder with his tail. "You will be ThunderClan's deputy from this day forward. May StarClan grant you the courage to help your Clan face whatever lies in its path. And when the time comes for you to take my place, I pray you will shine at the head of our Clan."

"Bluefur! Bluefur!"

Bluefur held her head high, feeling like she was in a dream. She never thought this day would come.

A few mews sounded louder than the rest. Whitestorm, Oakheart, Mistyfoot, Stonefur. But one was missing.

Where was Mosspaw?

Bluefur scanned the clearing for her youngest daughter. Was she missing her ceremony? Was she in StarClan again?

"Bluefur!"

Bluefur spotted Mosspaw in the crowd. She was sitting next to Spottedleaf, her pelt blending in with the snow. Bluefur let out a sigh of relief.

As the rest of the Clan gathered to share prey, Sunstar took Bluefur to his den.

"I know I've made the right choice," Sunstar sat on his nest. "I have a lot to teach you, but I'm looking forward to mentoring you again,"

Bluefur dipped her head. "I'm ready to learn."

"We must work together if we are to guide the Clan well. Never be afraid of sharing your worries with me. I trust your judgment and I will listen to whatever you have to say."

"I'm worried about Mosspaw," Bluefur started. "There has to be something we can do to motivate her to live in the real world."

"I share your concerns, believe me," Sunstar sighed. "I spoke with her before we left. I asked her if she would like to use her gift for the good of the Clan."

"And?" Bluefur's heart quickened.'

"She will think about it."

Bluefur sighed. Please, StarClan. Let me have her back.

"While we're being honest, there's something else you should know. A secret only Featherwhisker and I share."

Bluefur narrowed her eyes.

"I have just three lives left, not four," he confessed.

Bluefur blinked. "How did you lose the extra one?"

"I didn't. It was never given to me. When Pinestar left, he still had one life as the leader of this Clan. StarClan counted this life against mine. They gave me only eight because Pinestar kept his ninth."

Bluefur understood. "And you kept it a secret in case the Clan thought you did not have StarClan's full blessing." Bluefur stared at her leader. "But you can be honest now, surely? You have proved over and over that you are a great leader. What cat would doubt it?"

"A cat with ambition might."

Like who? "But what about me? I have ambition."

"Only to serve your Clan. That is why I chose you. You've continued to stay loyal to your Clan, putting their needs before yours. You could have joined RiverClan all those moons ago, but you chose to stay loyal to your Clan."

Bluefur nodded. "I will give every breath in my body to serve ThunderClan."

Bluefur trotted through the forest, Oakheart by her side, and her kits following closely behind. They decided to go hunting together after Bluefur was appointed to celebrate. Their paws led them to Sunningrocks.

"I smell mouse," Mistyfoot whispered, crouching low and inching forward.

"Don't let it get away," Stonefur teased. Oakheart shot him a playful warning glance.

"While I'm here, I could collect some chickweed," Mosspaw observed. "Featherwhisker would love that."

"Remember, today is for fun," Oakheart reminded her, not wanting Mosspaw to get too absorbed in the task.

They split up to search for prey, silently competing with each other. As the sun began to set, they reunited, each of their jaws filled with prey.

"The Clan will feast tonight!" Bluefur mumbled through a mouthful of prey, her heart swelling with pride.

"And these might save a life someday," Mosspaw declared proudly, picking up her pile of chickweed.

Back at the camp, they shared their prey with the Clan. Bluefur and Oakheart claimed a vole for themselves, and Stonefur, Mistyfoot, and Mosspaw shared a plump mouse that Stonefur had caught.

"It almost escaped to its burrow, but I got it just in time," he bragged.

They retired to their dens as the moon rose high in the sky. Bluefur basked in contentment, feeling proud of her kits as she fell asleep next to her mate.