Chapter 22

"Can I have a word, Mossdapple?"

Mossdapple slowly raised her head. Bluestar stood a fox-length away from her, a serious expression on her face.

Mossdapple let out a sigh. "Is it important?" She had just been in StarClan, training with Snowfur. She was just about to teach her a new move when Bluestar woke her up.

"Yes," Bluestar mewed irritably. "Come on."

Mossdapple slowly raised to her paws and stretched before following Bluestar out of the medicine clearing and into her den.

Newleaf had arrived at last, covering the clearing with small, white and yellow flowers. They had no use as herbs, but they decorated the camp nicely. The scent of dew and pray laid heavy in the air.

"What is it?"

"Is that how you talk to your leader?"

Mossdapple let out a scoff. "You're still my mother."

"You ought to show a bit of respect," Bluestar warned.

"I was busy! You woke me up."

"This is important!" Bluestar hissed. "I want to tell the Clan about your gift."

Mossdapple's jaw hung open. "Are you serious?"

"It's not a crazy thing to suggest, you know. It could make us stronger. You could give us a better connection to our ancestors than any of the other Clans have."

"So you want me to abuse my power for battle?"

"Of course not," Bluestar hissed. "There are other ways we could use it."

Mossdapple sighed. Tensions had been high between her and her mother since she had become leader. Mossdapple had spent so much time in StarClan, and Bluestar thought she should be awake helping her Clan. She had lost two of her lives already. "My answer is no."

"Why?" Bluestar fidgeted with frustration.

"I don't want to be seen as any more different than I already am. I'm already cast out for being a medicine cat."

"This is more important than your reputation!" Bluestar let out a deep sigh. "It's what Sunstar would have wanted."

Mossdapple hesitated. Sunstar had asked her to reveal her ability to the Clan many moons ago, which she had never responded to.

"I guess," Mossdapple admitted.

"Your Clanmates might stop thinking you're just lazy," Bluestar muttered.

Mossdapple's ears perked. "They think that?"

"I've just overheard it," Bluestar shrugged.

Mossdapple sighed. "Fine."

"You agree?"

"I agree."

Bluestar's tail curled in delight. "I'll call the Clan meeting now."

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather under the Highrock for a Clan meeting!"

Mossdapple sat underneath the Highrock, too nervous to breathe. This was it. Her life was about to change forever.

"Our medicine cat, Mossdapple, has something to share with you all."

She's going to make me do it?!

Mossdapple took a deep breath. "There's something I have been keeping to myself for many moons," she started. "But I have decided it would be best for the Clan to know, so we can use it to be stronger."