Chapter 13

Bluefur instinctively dropped into a hunting crouch. The squirrel in front of her gnawed at a nut, unaware of her presence. She crept forward, making sure not to make a sound, before pouncing on the squirrel and giving the killing bite.

This squirrel can feed the queens, Bluefur thought with satisfaction. She began carrying her catch back to camp. She had been hunting all morning, and had some more prey buried in the forest to retrieve later.

"Going back so soon?"

The fur on Bluefur's neck rose as she turned to face the voice. The broad, muscular shape of Thistleclaw stood a couple fox-lengths away from her.

"I've been out all morning," she growled.

"And that's all you've gotten?" Thistleclaw questioned, glancing at the squirrel. "Or are you setting out to betray your Clan again?"

Bluefur dropped the squirrel. She suddenly felt very small.

"It's just like you to choose hunting over a border patrol. You'd hate to have to encounter your RiverClan friends."

"I don't have RiverClan friends!" Bluefur hissed. "I'm going back to camp. Leave me alone."

As soon as she picked up her squirrel and began padding back, Thistleclaw stepped in front of her.

"Count your sunrises, Bluefur," he whispered, his breath foul and hot on her muzzle. "As soon as I'm leader, your place in ThunderClan is gone."

Every muscle on Bluefur's body tensed. "You'll never be leader!"

"Is that a threat?" Thistleclaw sneered.

Bluefur backed up, growling. He was mad!

"What's going on here?"

Relief flooded Bluefur as she heard her mate approach from behind her. He stood between her and Thistleclaw.

"What is going on here?" Oakheart repeated, louder this time.

"Neither of you have any loyalty," Thistleclaw sighed. "You left your Clan to be with a mate you never should have loved." He looked at Bluefur. "You killed your sister and broke the warrior code, then honestly expected to become deputy?"

"Enough!" Oakheart unsheathed his claws. "We're going back to camp." He picked up Bluefur's squirrel and walked into the bracken. "Come on," he muttered to Bluefur.

Bluefur followed him, hearing Thistleclaw's voice taunting them.

"You're gone as soon as I say the word, mange-pelts! And don't think your kits are safe, either!"

Bluefur broke into a run. She didn't know where she was running, she just knew she had to get far, far away from Thistleclaw.

"Bluefur!" Oakheart called. "Bluefur, stop."

Out of breath, she collapsed to the ground. She was at the twolegplace fence. Oakheart dropped the squirrel and sat beside her, licking her head like she was a kit.

"Are you okay?"

"No!" Bluefur spat. "Of course I'm not okay!"

Oakheart stroked her back with his tail. "Of course," he agreed.

Bluefur's gaze clouded. "Stupid furball," she muttered. "I was just walking back to camp and he threatened me."

"What did he say?"

Bluefur repeated Thistleclaw's words to Oakheart.

"It'll be okay," he promised. "We'll talk to Sunstar. He'll understand."

"No he won't," Bluefur cried. "He never has."

Oakheart sighed.

"I wonder if Snowfur is angry with me in StarClan," Bluefur mumbled. "It's my fault she's dead. I wonder if Whitestorm has forgiven me, too."

"Of course he has," Oakheart reassured her. "Whitestorm loves you."

"What if he-" Bluefur stopped mid-sentence in shock. "Oakheart!"

Her warning came too late. A fox had a appeared behind him, and it struck him with massive claws. He let out a yowl of pain before turning around to face it, teeth bared.

"Go get help!" he yowled.

"I can't leave you alone!"

"Go!" he hissed, batting at the fox's muzzle. Bluefur didn't have time to think. She sprinted as fast as she could back to the camp, skidding through the entrance.

"Fox!" she screeched.

Sunstar darted to her side. "Where?" he demanded.

"Follow me," she panted. Sunstar signaled for a handful of warriors to follow them. Bluefur didn't stop to see who they were, just ran back to Oakheart as fast as her paws could carry her.

"Oakheart!" she called.

Her mate popped out of the bracken. He had cuts down his sides and a nicked ear, but remained mostly unharmed. The fox was gone.

"Where is it?" Bluefur exhaled.

"It's gone for good," Oakheart growled. "You won't have to worry about it anymore."

"You chased it off?" Sunstar interrupted, stepping forward.

Oakheart nodded swiftly.

Sunstar dipped his head in gratitude. "You've saved our Clan from a great threat," he praised. "It's time for you to be invited to a Gathering."

Bluefur pressed against Oakheart as they arrived at the Gathering. The scents of countless cats flooded her senses. She had forgotten what it was like. Many moons had passed since she was last invited to a gathering.

As they came into view of the other Clans, Bluefur noticed the looks of hostility shot at her and Oakheart. Pity for her mate stabbed at her like thorns.

"They hate us," Bluefur whispered.

"They'll get over it," Oakheart shrugged. "Something else will distract them and they'll move on."

Sunstar leapt onto the Great Rock and waved his tail to signal for silence. The chatting coming from the Clans subsided.

"ThunderClan has good news," he began. "We have a new medicine cat apprentice. Mosspaw!"

Confusion hung over the Clans like a cloud.

"ThunderClan already has a medicine cat apprentice!" a WindClan tom called.

"StarClan has called on Mosspaw to be one too," Sunstar mewed simply. "Other than that, Oakheart has chased a fox away from the Clans territory for good!"

"Oakheart! Oakheart!"

RiverClan remained silent. Bluefur held some contempt for the Clan. They could show some more support- Oakheart had left them long ago.

The gathering continued as normal. WindClan, ShadowClan, and RiverClan had little to report.

The cats began sharing tongues under the Great Oaks. Bluefur glanced at her mate, but he had left her side. He was sitting beside Crookedstar in what looked like an engaging conversation. Bluefur twitched her tail in satisfaction. At least they were talking.

She stepped forward to listen.

"But Silverkit is alright," Crookedstar mewed, sadness in his voice. "She's a tough kit. Brambleberry says she'll be okay."

"That's good," Oakheart purred. "My kits are well. Mistypaw and Stonepaw's training is coming along brilliantly. And as you heard, Mosspaw has taken up medicine training."

Bluefur was pleased to hear that they were talking as normal. Maybe they would be alright after all.