Chapter 18

It had been a week since they had come back to Kolkata and things at work were cordial to say the least. It was difficult for Prerna to keep calm around the man, especially when they were in meetings and she sat hardly a few chairs away from him. She simply prayed to her gods to keep her actions strictly professional, just like Mr. Bajaj's were.

It annoyed her honestly, how professionally he could act, as if nothing was happening between them. She should have been impressed, but it was the opposite of that and she found herself grumbling most of the time, and could not even tell what was going on in his head.

Rishabh was amused to say the least, after all, Ms. Sharma could not act to save her life. Looking at her blushing face the entire week, he was pretty sure someone would mention it and ask her if she was alright or just feeling hot in the humid weather of Kolkata.

They had met at his place twice in the last week and this was the first weekend they were going to spend together. Prerna had told her family she was going to spend the night at her college friend's place and reached his mansion fifteen minutes earlier than planned.

As a staff member took her bag to the guest room, Prerna roamed around a bit around the hall when she heard Mr. Bajaj's voice coming from the study. She giggled to herself before deciding to surprise him but stopped when she heard a familiar name.

"And that'll be enough to set Moloy Basu back by at least six months-

She had already opened the study's door when Rishabh's eyes locked with hers and she could see Mr. Mehra sitting there as well.

"I am sorry, I did not mean to interrupt-

"It's alright. Mehra, we will talk later." Rishabh nodded at him and he left, leaving Prerna and Rishabh alone.

"Do you have any questions?" He went straight to the point and Prerna walked inside slowly. "I am sure you must have some, ask away."

"Just...what is happening?" She asked and he gestured her to sit down.

"Just business. I am looking at a business deal for next month and the Basus are also interested in it. I was just calculating, if we sign the deal, they will face severe losses." He explained but Prerna did not look convinced.

"You said they will be set back by six months. What six months?" She probed and Rishabh smirked. Ms. Sharma was not dumb and nor did she act like it. 

"Well, it's personal. You can say I am very much after Moloy Basu and his business-

"Why?" She asked and he sighed.

"It's personal, Ms. Sharma-

"How can business be personal?-

"This time it is. I cannot answer anything else now." He said and stood up. "You are free to go and inform them of the same. I don't have any problem."

"Why will I do that?" She stood up as well, crossing her arms.

"Your father works there-

"He'll retire in a few months. And anyway, I don't feel any sort of loyalty towards the Basus, so don't worry, I am not interested in snitching." She shrugged and he looked confused.

"Why not? Your father has worked for them for years, they have been friends, as far as I know, so why don't you feel loyal towards them?" Rishabh asked and Prerna shook her head.

"Yes, you are right. Baba has worked for them for as long as I remember, and they were friends long before that. But that family?" She smirked and walked towards the window, looking outside. "They never treated us like people, more like servants. Mohini Basu is a vile woman, she has never treated my parents with respect, just because they have money. Their kids, Anurag and Nivedita are spoiled brats who think the world revolves around them. Except Moloy uncle, the entire family is horrendous."