Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"We accept the deal Mr Bajaj." The Mehta boy said and closed the file. "I am glad to work with you."

"You'll get the documents in half an hour." Rishabh said and stood up, buttoning up his coat. "They are on their way."

"What? Already?" Mr Mehta frowned. 

"I know a smart businessman when I meet one." Rishabh smiled, making Mehta feel proud of himself. "I knew you would never refuse this deal."

"Well, accepting this deal was a big decision for me. I am sacrificing an old acquaintance for this deal, the Basus." Mehta said and stood up. "They are old friends."

"So why did you accept this offer?" Rishabh asked as if he already didn't know the answer. 

"Well, their offer is not as lucrative as this one but I was obliged as Mr Moloy was my father's good friend." Mehta shrugged and Rishabh nodded.

"I guess that's why they say, don't do business with friends." Rishabh said. "If you want to think again about it, you can- 

"No, no!" Mehta shook his head and took the file. "I am ready to sign."

"That's great. My lawyer will contact you once the signed documents reach my office." Rishabh took his phone and nodded at Mehra before leaving the conference room. 

He felt the usual surge of power run throughout his veins as he walked out of the Mehta and Sons premises, the feeling of being ten steps ahead as familiar as the sunrise. 

The Basu and Mehta deal was off in just five minutes as the Mehta boy had read through the offer by Bajaj Infragiant. The profit amount was enough for him to forget about his father's old friend and Rishabh had seen the young man's brain turn logical within seconds.

He could already imagine the havoc this was going to create in the Basu company and it was all he wanted. He wanted to see Moloy Basu getting destroyed, bit by bit and so slowly that he wouldn't know what hit him until it hit him straight in the face. And this destruction was going to be so smooth and so satisfying, he was sure of it.

--

"Hope you have understood everything?" Aditi asked Prerna who nodded.

The last two hours had been spent by Aditi to teach Prerna the details of her new job. Basic things, like how to fill the timesheet, how to upload files in the complex system, how to work the software etc. Prerna was a quick learner so Aditi was happy as she wrapped up.

"Well, ho gaya sab. It's almost six, we are going for drinks. Want to join us?" Aditi asked and Prerna shook her head.

"I don't drink in the Durga Puja week." Prerna shrugged. "Aur waise bhi, I am going to finish this account before leaving."

"It's fine, you can finish it tomorrow. Late baithne ki zarurat nahin hai." Rohit said and Prerna chuckled. 

"I am okay. Bas ek ghanta lagega." Prerna said as her colleagues got up to leave. 

Within fifteen minutes, her side of the office was deserted except for two-three people, who were also finishing their jobs. She focused on the file as hard as she could, to make no mistake. 

The moment she had been assigned the permanent job, she had felt a pride ride through her. She had proved herself in less than eight hours, in front of a man who gave his employees a probation period of six long months before confirming their jobs.

Rishabh Bajaj had seen her mettle and hired her!

Her father was more than happy to hear the news and her mother was preparing a lavish dinner to celebrate while her siblings had asked for gifts already. 

"What are you doing here?" A heavy voice asked and Prerna looked up to see her megaboss stand behind her, staring at her files.

"Sir, I am finishing this account-

"No need, Durga Puja vacation is starting from tomorrow. Go home, you can commence this after that." Rishabh said and Prerna just nodded, getting up from her seat.

"It's okay Sir, I don't mind completing it before I leave-

"But I mind. I don't exploit my employees. You are a Bengali and this is your festival, I am sure you must be needed at your home." Rishabh said as Prerna nodded meekly. "Then, go home."

"Yes Sir." She said and closed the file as he left, making her smile to herself.

"Brains, beauty and a heart, he's got it all!" She cooed to herself as she packed her bags.

--

"Aa gayi tu!" Veena smiled widely when Prerna entered the hall. "Kabse wait kar rahe the sab!"

"Priyu, meri bacchi!" Rajesh laughed and hugged his daughter tightly. "I am so proud of you!"

"Thank you Baba!" Prerna touched her parents feet and laughed with joy. 

"Di, humare gifts kahan hai?" Her siblings were quick to ask and Prerna chuckled.

"Arey, job aaj fix hui hai but I'll get my salary next month! Wait karo tab tak!" Prerna put her bag down and sighed loudly. "God, I am so tired!"

"Main jaldi se khana lagati hoon, Shivi aa help kar meri." Veena said as everyone followed her to the kitchen, leaving Rajesh and Prerna alone.

"Itna kaise thak gayi beta? Zyada kaam tha?" He asked and Prerna shook her head.

"Nahi Baba, travelling mein thak gayi. Na cab mil rahi thi, na rickshaw. I had to walk a lot to get one." Prerna sighed but smiled. "But I am okay."

"Acha chalo ab fresh ho jao. Maine teri favorite dessert banai hai, bread pudding!" Rajesh said proudly while Shivi walked in.

"Di, aapki job toh sahi start hui hai. Aaj first day tha aur ab saat din ki vacation!" Shivi chuckled as Prerna frowned.

"Vacation?" She asked and Suman called from the kitchen.

"Durga Puja ki chutti hai na Priyu, bhul gayi?" Suman said and suddenly, a bout of disappointment settled in Prerna's stomach.

Seven days without seeing his gorgeous face and even gorgeous butt? It was not going to be easy.

--

It was not.

TBC