Chapter 19

"Ye kaise ho gaya!" Moloy Basu shouted at his entire team, throwing a file on the long, conference table. They had just lost a very important deal with Meenakshi Singh & Daughters, a company dedicated to a popular women's magazine called Naaree. 

Moloy sat back on the chair, clutching his head as he recalled the conversation he had had with the founders hardly five minutes ago.

"I am sorry Basu uncle, but we cannot go forward with this deal." Preeti Singh, Meenakshi Singh's daughter and the company's CEO said as she pushed their proposal back. "We have got a better deal with-

"Preeti beta, better deal matlab kya? Humara publishing agency Naree ko picchle das saalon se publish kar rahi hai, ye toh ek simple sa renewal proposal hai-

"I know, aur isilye humne humaari team ke saath kaafi hafton ke consultation ke baad ye decision liye hai. Waqt badal gaya hai uncle, it's been a decade. We need to move forward, start afresh-

"Hum aapki madad karenge isme, naya proposal banayenge, we will create a complete new look for the magazine-

"We just don't need a new look for the magazine Moloy uncle." Aditi Singh, Preeti's sister and the company's CFO spoke up. "We need an entirely new magazine. Aap humaari magazine das saalon se publish kar rahe hain so you'll know, humaara pichhle saal ka profit did not reach our target and-

"Ye toh business hota hai beta, kabhi profit kabhi loss-

"Loss hum jhel chuke hain uncle, we cannot go under." Preeti said in a determined tone. "As I was saying, we have got a better deal with someone else. I hope humaare iss professional decision se humaari personal relationship par asar nahin aayega."

"We hope you understand." Aditi added as the Singh sisters got up and left, with their team in tow.

The renewal contract deal had just cost Basus a loss of ten crores. Moloy could not understand what the hell was happening to his business. They were facing losses almost every month, as if bad luck was following them left, right and centre.

Shaking his head, Moloy looked at Nivedita, who sat defeated in front of him. Nivedita stared at her father with tension and stood up.

"I'll talk to Aditi, she's my close friend, I am sure wo samjhegi and they will reconsider." Nivedita said. "Let's leave for now."

"You have to make sure this contract is renewed Nivi." Moloy stood up as well. "We cannot afford to lose this deal."

"Yes baba."

---

"Kya hua Baba, you look tensed?" Prerna asked her father that night as he sat in his study, clutching his head.

"Aaj bahut nuksaan ho gaya company ko...das crore ka." He answered, shutting the file he had in front of him. "Samajh nahin aa raha kya ho raha hai."

"Kyun, aisa kya ho gaya aaj?" Prerna asked, sitting on the couch beside the window. She had an inkling Mr. Bajaj had something to do with this.

"Wo Naaree magazine walon ne bola ki abse wo Basus se publishing nahin karwayenge, unhein better deal mil gayi hai kahin." Rajesh said and got up, walking towards Prerna.

"Toh achhi baat hai na...Naaree walon ke liye." Prerna shrugged and Rajesh frowned.

"Par Basus ke liye nahin...tujhe pata hai, iss deal se business apni growth se 6 mahine peeche chala gaya hai. Iss saal ka target achieve nahin ho payega. Ho sakta hai logon ko naukri se nikalna bhi pade-

"Kyun?" Prerna sat up, confused.

"Jab salary dene ke paise nahin rahenge toh employees ko kaise rakhenge?" Rajesh said and realisation hit Prerna.

"Hmmm." Was all she could say, wondering if she should talk to Mr. Bajaj. She did not want to interfere, but destroying innocent people's livelihood was far different from destroying the Basu family. Her anger and hatred towards Moloy Basu's family could not let her turn a blind eye and she felt the strong urge to call Mr. Bajaj and address this. It was one thing to remain in the dark about what was happening, a whole other thing to brush off something so serious.

"Kya soch rahi hai?" Rajesh asked his daughter, who looked deep in thought.

"Kuch bhi nahin. Anyway, aapne Moloy uncle se baat ki? About Anurag?" She asked, changing the topic.

"Socha tha aaj jab wo meeting se aayega ta baat karunga but uska mood itna kharab tha-

"I understand." Prerna nodded, her heart sinking a bit. 

Shivani entered the room then, with Prerna's phone in her hand.

"Di, aapka phone baj raha hai kab se!" She grumbled, rubbing her eye. "Meri neend tod di!"

"Ye koi time hota hai sone ka Shivi?" Prerna chuckled and took her phone, seeing two missed calls from a college mate. Calling her back, she left the study and walked up to the balcony.

"Hi Jagriti, bol na, itne time baad call kiya!"

---

"Why are you so quiet?" Rishabh asked Prerna later in the day, as they lay in his bed. "You seemed distracted the entire day."

Prerna looked at him, biting her lip and contemplating whether to talk to him about her conversation with Baba. Rishabh stared hard at Prerna, knowing she wanted to say something. He urged her to speak and she sighed.

"I know maine bola tha that I don't want to get involved." She said and sat up straight, looking straight at him. "Aaj meri Baba se baat hui. And he told me ki Naaree ka contract nahin hua. And that this has cost the company six months worth of profits."

"Yes. This was the deal I was talking about that day." Rishabh nodded. "Uske baare mein aapne apne Baba ko bata diya?"

"Nahin. But he said something which really bothered me." She said softly and Rishabh looked at her with eagerness. "That company iss loss ki wajah se employees ko naukri se nikal sakti hai."

Rishabh didn't say anything. He obviously knew this and Prerna knew as well.

"Is there a way you can destroy the Basus and also save the employees? I mean, I doubt they are at fault?" Prerna said, looking down. 

Rishabh smiled, shaking his head. Ms. Sharma was a peculiar woman.

"Why are you smiling?" Prerna frowned, crossing her arms.

"Just thinking how peculiar you are-

"Excuse me-

"Let me finish. One day you say, destroy the Basus. And the next day, you say save the people-

"Those are two different things." She shrugged and he crossed his arms as well.

"Yes, and you were able to see it and identify it as a problem. Whereas I, believed it to be collateral damage." He stated. "Something that had to be done."

Prerna didn't say anything, just scooched up beside him, pulling the blanket over them.

"So what do you suggest we do?" He asked and she looked at him with surprise.

"We?" She said and he nodded.

"Well, if we are talking about it, it's a we problem, right?" He asked and warmth filled Prerna's heart as she blushed.

"Yes, it's a we." She smiled and put her head on his shoulder. "Let me think what we can do, cool?"

"Perfect."