Chapter 20

A week later, Prerna rushed out of her home two hours earlier than usual on a Monday, to reach her college. Her college mate Jagriti had informed her that one of their teachers was retiring and they had decided to meet her today morning itself, after a lot of planning and scheduling. Since all of them had started working, making plans had become difficult, given everyone was busy at some point of time.

After congratulating and giving their teacher a farewell gift, Prerna and her friends started leaving for their respective work when Prerna bumped into someone.

"Hello Prerna!" Anurag's smug voice greeted her and she forced a smile. "Tum yahan?"

"Mrs. Das ka last day hai, toh hum milne aaye the." She said and bid goodbye to her friends as they left.

"Acha. Anyway, tumhare Baba ne tumse baat ki kya?" He asked yet again and Prerna sighed. Should she just say no to him directly? Or should she play dumb?

"Haan, ki thi." She finally said and nodded. "I am sorry Anurag, I don't think humare beech rishta jodna sahi hoga."

"Excuse me?" Anurag looked shocked. "Kyun nahin? Kya kami hai mujhme?"

Sensitive ego! Prerna thought and forced a smile.

"Tum mein koi kami nahin hai...bas main ready nahin hoon aur-

"Toh main kaunsa kal shaadi karna chahta hoon? We will take our time, go on dates, spend-

"Anurag please." Prerna interrupted him and looked him straight in the eyes. "Maine tumhein kabhi uss nazar se nahin dekha. And humari family, lifestyle, sabkuch bahut alag hai. Aur mujhe samajh nahin aa raha, tum kyun mujhse shaadi karna chahte ho? Honestly, I don't even like you that way."

Anurag looked like someone had slapped him, with his red face and flaring nostrils. Nodding his head, he shrugged and gulped.

"Fine. Bye." He mumbled and left, making Prerna a bit worried about his reaction.

"Basu boy can't handle rejection it seems." She laughed to herself and left for work.

---

Mohini Basu was instructing the house staff about the details of a ladies committee happening next week when she saw Anurag entering Basu Badi, fuming and mumbling something. With worry etched on her face, she hurried behind him as he climbed two steps at a time towards his bedroom.

"Kya hua Anu? Why do you look so upset?" She asked as soon as she reached his door.

"Because I am Maa, I am upset!" He grumbled rather loudly while throwing his bag on the bed. "Wo Prerna kya samajhti hai khudko?"

"Prerna?" Mohini frowned, not understanding. "Wo kahan mil gayi tujhe? Tu toh college gaya tha na?"

"College mein hi mili. And do you know what she said?" He smirked, shaking his head at his mother. "She rejected me Mom. Usne mere muh par mana kardiya shaadi ke liye!"

"What?" Mohini was puzzled. "Usne mana kiya? Wo hoti kaun hai mana karne wali?"

"Exactly! Who the hell is she to reject me? ME?" Anurag laughed sarcastically. "I am Kolkata's most eligible bachelor! And wo kaun hai? She is a nobody!"

Mohini seethed in anger. She could not believe the gal of that woman. She rejected her son, her Anu! Laughing sarcastically, she shook her head.

"Forget about her Anu, tujhe usse kayi acchi ladki mil jayegi! As you said, she's a nobody!" Mohini walked towards her son and caressed his cheek. "Main tere liye ek oonche khaandaan wali, smart and modern ladki dhoondungi, who will deserve you."

"Wo toh mujhe mil hi jayegi Maa. Mujhse shaadi karne ke liye ladkiyon ki kami nahin hai!" Anurag smirked and sat down on the bed idly.

"Exactly." Mohini smiled and nodded.

---

A few hours later, the Basu family sat for dinner together, silence falling heavy in the spacious dining room. 

Mohini cleared her throat and Anurag looked at her. Nodding, he took a sip of water and turned to his father.

"Baba." He said and Moloy looked at his son. "Aaj mujhe college mein Prerna mili thi."

Moloy nodded, urging him to continue.

"Maine usse pucha...humaari shaadi ke baare mein." Anurag said further and Moloy smiled, clearly looking eager to know Prerna's answer. "Usne mana kardiya. She said she is not interested in me."

Moloy's shoulder sank a bit as disappointment filled his face. Sighing, he put down the bite in his hand and shrugged.

"Koi baat nahin. Agar usey interest nahin hai toh hum kya hi kar sakte hain." He said and looked at Mohini. "Khush ho? Tum toh waise hi nahin chahti thi ki wo Basu Badi ki bahu bane."

"Moloy!" Mohini grumbled. "Wo baat alag hai. Par tumhein gussa nahin aa raha? Ki usne humare Anu ko reject kardiya?"

"Isme gussa hone ki kaunsi baat hai?" Moloy frowned and pointed at their Nivedita, who was busy eating, unbothered by the conversation. "Agar kal ko Nivi kisi ladke ko reject karde, because she is not interested in him, toh wo kya galat hoga? Nahin na. Usey poora haq hai apne partner ko choose karne ka. Toh Prerna ko kyun nahin?"

"Tum bhool rahe ho Moloy, humari Nivi Nivedita Basu hai. Koi airi gairi ladki nahin-

"Toh Prerna bhi Prerna Sharma hai. Surname se kya hota hai Mohini? Just because wo simple ghar se hai, usey koi haq nahin hai apni marzi rakhne ka?" Moloy crossed his arms. "Agar usne mana kar diya toh mana kar diya. Topic khatam."

"Baba, aap Rajesh Uncle se baat toh kariye, shayad wo Prerna ko samjha-

"Kya samjhayega wo apni beti ko? Ki apni marzi ke khilaaf jakar uss ladke se shaadi karle jisey wo pasand hi nahin karti?" Moloy chuckled and stood up. "Tu hi soch Anu, kya tu aisi shaadi mein khush reh bhi payega?"

"I don't want to marry her anymore." Anurag said angrily and stood up as well. 

"Toh kya problem hai?" Moloy frowned yet again, confused.

"Main batati hoon Baba." Nivedita quipped and looked at her family members. "Anu ko bas ye problem hai ki Prerna ne usey reject kardiya. Wo chahta hai ki wo khud Prerna ko reject kare. Ego hurt hui hai iski."

"Shut up Di!" Anurag shouted and Nivi just smiled, looking at him.

"Tell me I am wrong." She said and Anurag looked enraged. Without saying a word, he left his dinner half eaten and Moloy looked at his wife.

"Samjhao usey. Chhoti chhoti baaton ko dil pe lega toh business nahin sambhal payega." He said and left the dining room as well, followed by Nivedita.

Mohini stood alone at the table, her brain working towards teaching that chit of a woman a lesson.