00. PROLOGUE : Starry Night

Starry night

Starry night

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

The summertime night sky was marvelous, magical almost. Every star looked down on Earth, shining bright next to the splendid moon. Its silver light shone upon Seoul's narrow lanes, while a fresh night breeze caressed the trees' foliage.

Three running girls interrupted the quiet night, their soiled sneakers splashing in the puddles from that day's rain. The two girls in the front laughed softly, waking up the people in the nearby houses trying to sleep the night away.

The girl in the back tried to catch up with the two younger girls, panting for more air. Her dark braided hair flowed in the night sky, camouflaging with the pitch-black firmament. Only when the two girls in the front slowed down in front of a convenience store, the girl halted as well, catching her breath with her hands on her knees.

"Oh, come on Doyun!" The youngest screamed at the weary girl, receiving a soft smack on the shoulder from the girl on her side, "Hyein! Don't scream like that, it's almost midnight." She whispered.

The last girl finally reached the convenience store as well, gaining proud smiles from the younger girls, "Doyun, you're last. That means you pay for our drinks."

Doyun shushed the girl with her hand, "Yeah I know, Dani."

The girls softly giggled, entering the convenience store, where a tired-looking boy sat behind the cashier, on his phone. "Welcome." He said uninterestedly, staring at his device, from where low-volume music played.

The girls walked straight to the beverages aisle, grabbing an ice cup each and their favorite drinks. After Hyein's contemplation on whether to get a soda or watermelon juice, the three walked to the boy, who was now forced to put down his phone and scan the girls' items.

Danielle and Hyein walked out of the convenience store, leaving Doyun alone to pay. Their playful smiles grew even wider when they noticed their friend sending them a death glare.

"It'll be 10,000 won." The boy's monotone voice spoke, waiting for Doyun's money. She handed him the money as he carefully placed the items she bought in a clear plastic bag.

"Thank you." Doyun grabbed the bag handed by the boy, placing a hand underneath it to make sure the ice wouldn't spill out of the cups. She walked towards the door as the boy went back to his phone with a dull expression.

Doyun opened the door with her shoulder, staring amusedly at the girls sitting down on one of the plastic tables, "I hate you two."

"Hey, it's not our fault if you're the slowest." Danielle chimed, helping Doyun with the bag she was holding. They took out their respective beverages, pouring them into the plastic cup.

"I love staying out late with you," Hyein said, sipping on her plastic straw.

Danielle caressed her arm, "You're here only because school is over."