08. Hideout

Hideout

Hideout

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

"How far is this place?!"

Sunoo's voice echoed on the empty beach. The five of them had walked for a little more than a kilometer, but their destination wasn't that close yet.

The burning afternoon Sun hit the beach, making the sand too hot to walk on it barefooted. Because of this, the small group decided to walk on the shore instead, where the seawater would refresh their feet from time to time, sending a cooler feeling to their whole bodies.

"It's not that far, just wait." Minji turned to look at him, lifting the cat-eye sunglasses from her eyes to her head, and removing her damp hair from her face.

"We've been walking for so long, my legs are tired!" Sunoo cried out dramatically, fanning himself with his hands as he tried to cool himself down, despite only moving hot air, "And my head is burning! Why didn't I bring a hat?"

"It's not even been 10 minutes." Doyun laughed, stopping on her feet to wait for the last one in the line, which happened to be Sunoo. She removed the beige cap from her long brown hair, placing it on the boy's head, "And here."

"I can see the mountain!" Another masculine voice happily announced, catching everyone's attention. Hanbin pointed to the small mountain popping up in the distance. They could immediately recognize the opening in it, thrilled to finally go back to their secret place.

Despite their happiness, Sunoo only widened his eyes at the sight of the faraway mountain, "We have to go there? It's too far!"

"Oh, shut up, Sunoo," Hanni rolled her eyes, "It's only a matter of minutes."

Thankfully for Sunoo, it really was just a matter of minutes. The mountain was closer than it seemed and the scenery was even more beautiful than he imagined.

Despite it being Sunoo's first time there, the other four visited that place every year, calling it their hideout. It was so secluded that only a few people knew about it.

Hanbin and Doyun had used that place as a hideout ever since they were children, running away from their parents and finding refuge in the beauty of the sea. In fact, the mountain hid a small beach in a cave the sun could barely reach.

The crystal-clear water reflected the few rays, illuminating the ceiling of the cave with a water pattern, that being the only proper source of light in the cave. Differently from the sand out in the daylight, the sand on the hidden beach was cold and felt way better under the feet. A few rocks, probably fallen from the cave's ceiling during the centuries, decorated the beach.

They were led into the grotto by Hanbin and Doyun, the most familiar ones with the place. For the most part, the beach was exactly as they left it the year before: the water was still as crystalline, the sand was cool and the water reflection shone on the ceiling. The only difference this time was an acoustic guitar lying on a striped towel, along with four boys splashing each other in the water.