05. Attention, please!

Attention, please!

Attention, please!

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

     Off-key notes played from the detuned guitar. The feminine voice on the stage singing cheesy lyrics of a corny song didn't help the boy listen clearly to his guitar's notes, making it harder for him to tune the guitar.

After what seemed like ages, he managed to tune all of the strings, as he strummed a chord to test the intonation. When he was finally satisfied with how the chords sounded, he stood up from the plastic chair, spinning the electric guitar around his body as the strap held it tight against his back.

His foot tapped frantically against the wooden floor. Anxiety started to rise inside of him as their turn to play was slowly coming closer. His eyes traveled to each of his bandmates, as they were all doing something but practicing or tuning their respective instruments.

His gaze fell on the youngest of the group, who was busy playing a silly game on his phone, "Aren't you going to tune your bass, Sunghoon?"

The boy, Sunghoon, raised his eyes towards him, forgetting about his game, "Don't worry, Jake. Already did that."

Jake nodded as he sat back down on the plastic chair, fanning himself with his hand. His blank stare fell to the ground, as his left foot kept tapping on the grass impatiently. Every time his band would perform, anxiety would just take the best of him, making him a sweating mess as his friends tried to comfort him.

He perfectly knew that no one would notice his wrong chord or the missed string he failed to play, but for him, music was that serious. He didn't mind the crowd noticing his mistakes, it was all a competition with himself.

His music needed to be perfect. Every chord had to flow flawlessly out of his trusty guitar. If it didn't, the performance was ruined. Or at least, in his eyes.

The oldest of the group noticed Jake's usual behavior, catching his attention by patting his shoulder, "Jake, everything is going to be fine."

"Heeseung is right, we practiced this song till exhaustion. I'm almost sick of it." Jay, the second oldest, added. Jake looked up to him, feeling glad he had such understanding friends.

"You're right." Jake grinned, followed by his friends.

The way they all met was kind of... unusual.

Heeseung and Jake, the original members of the band, were two broke Astronomy students, trying to find a way to pay Uni taxes and the rent to their small shared apartment. They started to play in the University bar, earning the smallest amount possible. Heeseung would pay the rent while Jake paid for the groceries, and from time to time they would switch.

That method didn't last long, as they both soon found themselves flat broke.

Asking their parents for money was kind of useless: they both came from the same neighborhood on the outskirts of Incheon. Let's say not the richest place to exist. If their parents barely had money for themselves, they surely didn't have money for their children.