07. Music genius

Music genius

Music genius

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

     Doyun's last week consisted of serving tables and cleaning counters: not the fun summer she – and her friends back in Seoul – expected. She knew that was what she had to do, but she couldn't help but admire and envy the people on the beach.

They were sunbathing, playing beach tennis, and laughing with their loved ones. Doyun wanted that too. She wanted to enjoy her summer with her friends. But there she was, stuck behind a counter serving drinks.

At least there's a cool breeze, she thought.

The shape of the bar allowed the air coming from the sea to flow inside of it and cool down the atmosphere. The staff didn't even think about installing a fan in the bar, so she was lucky enough that Mother Nature took care of that for her.

"Doyun, you there?" The boy next to her called out, startling her. She didn't even realize she had stopped what she was doing to stare at two women sitting under an umbrella on the beach, probably gossiping or talking about their old times.

"Did you say something, Jungwon?" She called out. The boy pointed at a tray placed in front of her, where four colorful glasses and a packed popsicle were carefully arranged on top of it.

"Umbrella 319." Jungwon told her for the second time, laughing softly at her puzzled expression.

Doyun lifted the tray, walking towards the exit of the bar. She went down the few stairs dividing the bar from the hot sand of the June early afternoon. She scanned the whole beach, immediately finding the umbrella where she was supposed to deliver the drinks.

She jogged to the walkway, feeling her feet burn touching the sand, despite her wearing a pair of white sandals.

Under Umbrella 319, a small family was laughing at something the youngest girl had said. Doyun caught their attention as she bowed to them, placing the tray on the small table.

Doyun understood they weren't Korean as soon as the woman spoke to her son. "Riki, thank her." The woman said in Japanese. Doyun could understand since she had studied Japanese in high school despite her knowledge of the language not being one of the best in her course.

The only boy in the family stood up, towering over all of his family and Doyun as he grabbed from a hung-up bag the money to pay Doyun. "Thank you." He said in fluent Korean.

Doyun was caught off guard by his perfect pronunciation, considering his mother didn't even know how to say 'thank you'. He seemed to notice it as he let out an awkward laugh, "We're Japanese but I was an exchange student here in Korea."

Doyun nodded as she understood. The father of the family stood up, grabbing his son's arm. This time the girl couldn't understand what he was saying to him, as her level of Japanese wasn't as good to understand such a fast and complex conversation.