02. Surprises

Surprises

Surprises

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞

     "Documents and ID, please."

Doyun opened her backpack, taking out her wallet before handing the documents to the man sitting behind the check-in desk. Dark circles were carved and well visible under her small eyes. 

Her flight was simply miserable.

Despite it being almost 4 pm, Doyun was sure that if she was given a bed right there in the middle of the airport, she would have fallen asleep in no time, even with the rushing people around her. She could have even slept through a fire alarm or even total chaos.

That was her level of tiredness.

It was mainly caused by the crying toddler sitting next to her on his mother's lap. He did cry for two hours straight, with his mother trying to calm him down and his father next to her patting his back and trying to feed him a banana yoghurt.

No matter how high Doyun's headphones' volume was, she could hear every yell and scream of that little menace. It's just a toddler, try to understand him, Doyun, she repeated to herself throughout the flight.

If we add the annoying teenage boy sitting behind her who kept hitting her seat, the flight could not get any worse.

Thankfully now, Doyun was safe and sound on the marble floor of the Jeju International Airport. No toddlers around her and no annoying teenagers.

I just wanted to rest a bit, she thought.

"Here you are, welcome to Jeju." The man handed her documents back through the small hole in the glass separating them with a small smile. A faint grin appeared on Doyun's face as she bowed, passing the check-in gate.

A big hall welcomed her in her hometown. The marble flooring and the high ceilings were separated by giant windows and a breathtaking entrance door. A tall modern statue in the middle of the airport, which Doyun couldn't quite understand what depicted, read the writing "Welcome to Jeju" underneath it.

Doyun walked through the white doorway. The early afternoon heatwave slapped her right in the face, quickly forming sweat droplets on her forehead and her nape, under her flowing brown hair. I should have braided it, she cursed herself.

"Lord, I need a shower. Immediately." Doyun thought out loud.

She looked around, her father didn't quite tell her who would pick her up to take her to the Resort. She imagined a driver, most likely someone her father knew well, he would never leave his lovely daughter in the hands of someone he didn't trust. It must have been someone special.

A line of men in suits and ties stood on the sidewalk in front of the exit, holding signs with the names of people they were supposed to pick up. How are they wearing a suit and keeping it cool when I'm sweating like a damn pig.