Part 1 ~ Chapter 1

This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery. My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...

It was a rather early hour of a new day, but from the looks of Berk you would think it was daytime with the amount of buildings that were aflame and the fire flying through the air as a raid commenced.

A boy rushed to leave his hut, but when he went to exit he quickly shut the door and leaned against it as flames were pelted towards him.

...dragons. Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have, stubbornness issues.

Once the dragon became bored with trying to set ablaze to the poor boy, it flew off to go torment some other Viking or even claim some of the livestock for its own.

The boy took that as an opportunity to dash out of his hut and through the village to his destination, which was none other than the forge.

My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But, it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

Hiccup dodges several Vikings in the heat of battle as he made his way through the burning village. There was an explosion that went off from a teal Gronckle that sent a Viking towards Hiccup, causing the scrawny teen to trip backwards to avoid the man. Said man roared in his face, full of adrenaline from the raid.

"ARGGGHHHHH! Mornin'!"

The Viking then rushed off to find another dragon to fight, giving Hiccup the chance to rush off to the forge once more. As the boy got closer to his destination he heard people shouting at him through the chaos.

"What are you doing here?!"

"Get inside!"

"What are you doin' out?"

"Get back inside!"

The boy is stopped in his tracks as a man grabs him by the tunic and lifts him into the air. He was a very burly man with a long, thick red beard.

"Hiccup?! What is he doing out aga–?! What are you doing out?! Get inside!" The man shouted, then set Hiccup down and pushed him towards a nearby building.

That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders.

Stoick grabbed a wooden cart and threw it right at a dragon passing by, knocking it out midair.

Do I believe it? Yes, I do.

"What have we got?" Stoick questioned as a Viking came up to him.

"Gronckles, Nadders, Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare." The man listed off for his chief.

"Any Night Furies?"

"None so far."

"Good." Stoick said as he casually brushed off burning embers that landed atop his shoulder mere seconds before.

"Hoist the torches!" A Viking shouted and others lifted two enormous torches and lit them, dragons swarming around them.

As that was happening, Hiccup rushed into the forge and replaced his vest with a blacksmithing apron. The man within the forge turned his attention to the boy as he made his way further into the forge.

He was a rather interesting looking man who had a long and braided blonde mustache, a peg leg, and a prosthetic hand.

"Ah! Nice of you to join the party! I thought you'd been carried off!" The man joked.