Part 1~ Chapter 8

After the fire subsided and ash was falling from the sky like snow, Stoick gathered the courage to go search for his son.

"Hiccup! Hiccup! Son!" He shouted as he searched through the fiery air.

As the chief searched for his son, the tribe looked at him worriedly and exchanged looks of concern for their chief.

Stoick then noticed a dark silhouette in the foggy air and rushed over to it. When he got closer it was clear that the silhouette was Hiccup knocked out with his wings limply splayed around his body.

Stoick fell to his knees next to him as tears formed in his eyes, fearing that his son was gone.

"Oh son...I did this..." He said as he rested his hand on Hiccup's head.

Hiccup stirred and slowly opened his eyes then whimpered in pain and closed his eyes tightly.

Stoick let out a relieved laugh and rubbed his son's head. "Oh thank the gods! Where does it hurt, son?"

Hiccup looked at his dad whining, then to his tail. Stoick followed his line of sight and his eyes widened when he saw the state of his son's left tailfin. The tailfin was burned very badly and looked to have some tears in it from the fall.

"Oh Hiccup...don't you worry...we'll get you patched up in no time, alright..?" Stoick said as he pet his son's head comfortingly.

Hiccup purred slightly, but that quickly stopped as he passed out from the pain.

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Around two weeks had passed since the battle at the Nest and Hiccup was still unconscious, but somehow he ended up in his hybrid form a couple days after the fight.

Life on Berk changed for the better though. Vikings and dragons were finally living in peace. Many Vikings were learning how to ride dragons and there were even areas throughout the village where dragons could stop for a meal.

Toothless and Kala were able to walk about the village and play together without everyone freaking out once a week had passed, but Toothless was only ever in his human form when Astrid or Stoick was with him. It was safer that way since they didn't know how the tribe would act if he was going about by himself.

At the beginning of the third week, Astrid was watching over Hiccup in the living room of the Haddock household as Kala napped curled up to his side and Toothless darted about the hut in his hybrid form. Stoick and Gobber had relocated Hiccup's bed in front of the hearth to keep him warm.

Toothless then snuck to the bed and was about to pounce on his father, but Astrid grabbed him by the tail and yanked him away. He hissed in pain and glared at her.

"Oh no you don't! Your dad's still healing mister! Not to mention your baby sister is sleeping! If you try to wake them up again, I'll whack you across the head with the handle of my axe!" Astrid scolded, which earned an irritated huff from the hatchling.

Because of Astrid's scolding, Kala woke up and began to sleepily yip in annoyance at her older brother and aunt. Toothless began to playfully growl and yip back at her, which ended up with the two hatchlings getting quite loud. Astrid tried to get them to quiet down, but her efforts were for naught.

As the two Night Fury hatchlings bickered, Hiccup finally stirred and woke up with a groan.

"Why are you two fighting..?" He asked as he slowly sat up while holding his head, still too out of it to register he was in hybrid form.

Toothless and Kala ceased their bickering as soon as they heard his voice.

"Dad!" Toothless exclaimed excitedly as he and Kala tackled Hiccup with happy purrs.