Part 2 ~ Chapter 9

Hey my li'l embers! Sorry it's been a while since the last post. Been busy with other things and I may or may not be letting a crossover I came up with rot me brain. But anyways! Here's the first chapter of Part 2!

~~~HTRYNF~~~

This is Berk, boasting the kind of balmy, fun-in-the-sun climate that will give you frostbite on your spleen. The one upside is our annual holiday. We call it Snoggletog. Why we chose such a stupid name remains a mystery. But with the war long over, and dragons (including myself and my kids) living among us, this year's Snoggletog promises to be one to remember.

The sun had just become fully visible in the sky as Hiccup worked away in the forge on something personal. He was in hybrid form for the time being as he hammered away at metal rods and used his right tailfin as reference to make sure he sized them all right.

Over the past few months, he had been working on a way to make himself a prosthetic that would allow him to fly on his own again. It made his heart ache every time Toothless asked him to go flying as a family, only to be disappointed when Hiccup reminded the poor hatchling that he was the only one out of their small family that had a fully intact tail.

Hiccup worked well into the afternoon on the prosthetic tailfin, trying his hardest to get it to react to his muscle movements as he opened and closed his right tailfin. The sun had slowly started its descent when Hiccup was able to finally succeed.

He smiled as he watched the automatic tailfin open and close in sync with his right one, excited to show it to his son and daughter. But that thought came to a halt when he heard commotion going on in the plaza.

Hiccup rushed to the plaza and looked around to find all the dragons flying off as hundreds of other dragons flew over the island. He gained a confused look as he pushed through the crowd to find one of his friends or family members in the chaos of people trying to keep their dragons from leaving.

To Hiccup's relief, he found his chosen sister Astrid as she looked around the plaza frantically. "Astrid! Where's Toothless and Kala?!"

She looked at him and relaxed, but became rigid again when he mentioned her niece and nephew. "I don't know! They were helping Stormfly and I just a second ago!"

Hiccup became worried and looked around the plaza for his children then sighed in relief when he spotted them by his father Stoick. When the two hatchlings spotted their dad, they rushed over to him and clung onto him, whimpering slightly. Hiccup smiled and picked Kala up and held her close as he pulled Toothless closer to him as well. Toothless was in his hybrid form like Hiccup, while Kala was still in her dragon form. She was still too young to be able to change forms like her brother or father.

"There you two are. Are you okay?" He asked as he looked both of them over as Stoick made his way over to the small family.

"W-we're okay Dad.." Toothless got out, calming down slightly as Hiccup ruffled his hair in a calming manner.

Compared to what Toothless used to wear, he now wore clothing very similar to his father's. He had on a gray tunic, the same leather belt he wore with his old tunic, black pants, a black wolf fur vest, and black wolf fur boots.

Stoick smiled a bit at the sight, but the smile faded as he locked eyes with his son. "What is going on, son? Where are all the other dragons going?"

"Dad...I don't know." Hiccup admitted as he fixed his hold on Kala.

Stoick nodded in understanding then looked at the entire plaza. "Alright. Everyone to the Great Hall!"

~~~HTRYNF~~~

Once everyone was in the Great Hall, Hiccup hid with his kids and friends near the back to keep from being bombarded with questions he didn't have the answers to. While he may be the heir, he'd much rather stay out of all the attention. Especially when his son and daughter were with him.

"Where'd they go?! Snoggletog is ruined!" A random Viking from the tribe exclaimed dramatically.

"It's not ruined! We're Vikings!" Stoick shouted. "We've been perfectly happy celebrating without dragons for generations! And there's no reason we can't do it again! Now we don't know where they've gone off to. But we have to have faith that they'll be back again soon. Am I right?"

Not many Vikings believed that. No one said anything to back up the chief. Hiccup glanced at Gobber, knowing he would be the only one to.

"You're right, we are Vikings! We are tough!" Gobber shouted, but as he did all of the decorations on his helmet and prosthetic jingled, which got Toothless and Kala to laugh slightly. "Most of the time..." He added when he noticed the decorations. "Let's sing some Snoggletog songs!"

Hiccup shook his head with a smile plastered on his lips. You could always count on Gobber to lighten the mood. With everyone starting to sing along with Gobber's off pitch singing, Hiccup picked up a sleepy Kala as he motioned to Toothless that they were going home.

Toothless nodded with a small smile as he hopped up from his seat and walked beside his dad as they left the Great Hall. It seemed that the other teens had the same idea as they caught up to the three Night Furies when they were heading down the steps.

"That was depressing..." Ruffnut said downcast.

"I know! I was looking forward to spending the holiday with Stormfly." Astrid complained with her arms crossed.

"She was looking forward to spending it with you, too Aunt Astrid." Toothless said with a sad smile.

Astrid returned it with a sad one of her own as she ruffled his hair.

As they were all walking through the village, Fishlegs whistled a happy little tune like nothing was wrong. This got everyone else to stop and they all gave him confused looks, minus Kala who was sound asleep in her father's arms.

"What are you so happy about? Don't you miss Meatlug?" Tuffnut asked with his arms crossed, a skeptical look upon his face.

"Me? Oh! Yeah!" Fishlegs said, then started to fake sob. "I miss her so much! Well, goodnight!"

And with that he rushed off to his hut. Hiccup raised a brow in confusion as his friend dashed off.

"Is it just me or did that reaction feel fake?" He asked and earned nods from everyone else.

"Very fake." Snotlout said with crossed arms.

Astrid's eyes lit up as though something came to her and she turned to the others excitedly. "I've got an idea! Let's come up with a bunch of new holiday traditions! You know, to bury the sadness!" She couldn't seem to stand still.

Snotlout and the twins groaned at the idea.

"Actually, Astrid might be on to something." Hiccup said as he thought over his sister's suggestion.

"Easy for you to say. You don't need a dragon to go anywhere." Tuffnut said with his arms crossed.

"That's not what I meant, Tuff and you know it." Hiccup shot back as he fixed his hold on his daughter.

"I'm with Dad and Aunt Astrid on this one. I think it'd be fun." Toothless said with a smile.

"Thank you." Astrid said happily as she ruffled up her nephew's hair again.

Toothless laughed and pushed her hand away as he fixed his hair.

"You guys can make those new traditions. I'm out. I'll just sulk, thank you very much." Snotlout said as he waved offhandedly as he walked away.

The twins nodded in agreement and followed the Jorgenson as he left and the small family looked at one another and shrugged as they made their way to their respective homes.

~~~HTRYNF~~~