Wake up Sisters!

Wake up Sisters!

"Qui nos præcesserunt et animarum invenit requiem. Te invitamus eas tormentum mortis . Surge sorores. Excitate inferni...

...Surge sorores . Excitate inferni!"

(Those souls that existed before us and didn't find eternal rest, we invoke thee. We release you from death's torment. Arise sisters, wake up from hell!)

These last sentences echoed on the humid walls in the dark basement. A group of four girls dressed in black sat around an inverted star drawn with flickering white votive candles on the floor. Their sweet childish voices conjured and summoned the unknown,  pretending to know what they were doing.

The scenario was perfect; midnight, winter solstice, full moon... And the legend was latent. Four witches were hung and buried more than two centuries ago where Oak Valley school was built. In the end it was only an experiment, an innocent game to be played by the girls that night. They found the spell to invoke spirits in an old book found in the school's library and they thought it was good to give it a try.

"...Surge sorores. Excitate inferni!"

Nothing happened. One by one the four girls opened their eyes. They gasped and chuckled, looking at each other feeling somehow relieved yet disappointed. Not a single noise.

"You see? I told you... This is only a myth... Only a nonsensical story of witches." One of the girls said.

"Yes, Sam. I think we've gone too far... I want to go home now." The blonde teenager sitting to her left spoke, terrified.

"Alright Mary, Sam, Steph... Let's go." A third young lady spoke and all of them stood up.

A cold current blowed inside the closed area, blowing off the candles. The girls screamed. The light coming from Sam's cellphone glowed vaguely in the dim place. She lifted the gadget to use it as a flashlight to find the rest of the girls. When she lifted it to illuminate her way, a ghastly face appeared in front of her, so close to her face she could smell it's putrid breath. Dark round dilated pupils in a bloated ghastly girl's face.

The phone dropped to the floor. She screamed. The candles lit up again... This time they were not on the floor. The inverted anagram was glued to the ceiling. The candles were upside down burning!

She looked everywhere, frightened. Her breathing came in short bursts of air. All her body trembled.

"Mary, Steph, Dan... Where are you?"

A warm liquid dripped on her forehead. She rubbed it and saw it was red, like blood. She looked up, expecting the worst.

"Aaaah!"

There was Steph's body, tied to the water pipes with some kind of roots or vines. Her eye sockets were empty and blood gushed from the holes.

"Oh God! No!"

"Don't invoke God now silly girl. He cannot save your soul! You woke up the sisters! This is what you'll get!" Girl like graveyard voices replied, but Sam saw nobody.

The terrified girl walked backwards, when something hit her head. Sam slowly turned to see what it was. She cried and fell to the floor when she saw Dan and Mary hanging from the water pipes.

"Aaaaaaaaaah!"