A Witch's Tale

A Witch's Tale

I'm a witch...

Not because I play around to be a fool with my friends and dress in black all day long. I don't tie a picture in yellow ribbons to charm a man neither I dance naked around the moon -but, oh yes, I did it centuries ago-.

I'm a witch because I was born a witch. Even before this world that is my home now was discovered by your ancestors, I existed. I roamed within the deepest forests of history and grim folklore. Both feared and hunted, I lived in the worst nightmares, yet formed part of the most beautiful fairy tales. Despite to what many believe, I wasn't part of Aesop's surreal childish stories, I'm tangible, flesh and blood incarnated and emerged from Hell... or Heaven and to all of them I terrorized. For I was born as a simple mortal, yet I learned to manipulate everything created or imagined because I didn't care to taste the forbidden fruit and I'm gifted with wisdom, the wisdom humanity has forgotten, concealed behind a veil of religion and puritanism. This power, pure and perfect power comes surges from myself and I am capable of both creating or destroying.

I'm the thing banned in the Sacred Scripts, even before the Genesis was meant to be written for I can do what is preached by the most ancient religions. I am perfection amongst humanity. I lived in the past but I can foresee the future. In my hands the barren soil converts into precious gems. Like Midas, I can turn everything I touch into gold. God forsakes the day I saw the light emerging from the cavernous abyss of the Avernus.

Because, I am a witch!

Obora Village, Prague 1174

Run! I must run!

The full moon gleamed above in the starry night, yet its light was blocked by the dense canopy of the forest. I scampered through the woodlands sending flashes of light here and there. Maybe it was a bad decision after all for they could follow the path I was taking. The heavy thumping of the hooves as they hit the moistened and leafy forest ground deafened me. That was the sound of been hunted and it was awfully mixing with the loud hammering of the heart in my chest.

Inquisitors had arrived to Prague, finally. They had taken so long without noticing my presence... or my existence. I was awakened in the middle of the night. How did they get there? I had to run! And I'm still running, escaping from an imminent death!

I barely had time to leave my cottage without being caught... It was burnt and reduced to ashes and I wasn't able to do nothing to stop those filthy fanatics of the man on the cross. -Wasn't him a witch as I am?- I hid in the darkness and disappeared for a few seconds. But I was nothing without my wand.

They were right behind me. I could smell the sweat of the men and the beasts' breath. I was exhausted. My breathing became labored and the cold breeze tore my skin in the same way the weeds did. I felt how my bare feet were peeling and bleeding as the sharp pebbles and dry twigs cut through the tender skin.

I found some bushed to hide behind and so I did. I covered my mouth with both hands because I was panting and my breathing was a sonorous whistle produced by fatigue. The gem in the charm on my necklace glowed red and it wasn't a good sign. I learned from the past lives that it was the color of the dreadful death. The Fate, that hideous Greek monster, an aberration of human mythology was deceiving me, once again.

"The witch is near! I smell of sulfur... and fright! Stay alert soldiers of Jesus Christ for we will burn that daughter of Satan before dawn!" The inquisitor spoke to his men.

I stayed still managing to freeze every muscle in my body. I also contained my breathing and closed my eyes -didn't need to be open to see the confusion on their faces-. And after a few minutes, they passed by.

'That was close.' I thought. After a few seconds I moved, crawling over the muddy floor until I was able to stand up as quietly as I could.

I was about to give the first steps back to my cottage, but a rabid hound was right in front of me... growling.

"Shhhh. Puppy... cute little being..." I was about to take my necklace off my neck to enchant the animal, but it began to bark... and barked louder and louder.

Damned! I heard the men as they returned to the sound of the stupid dog's alarm.

"Maledetto cane." I turned my wrist and the neck of the animal broke like a twig, making a cracking sound.

The lights of the torches illuminated the clear. It was too late and I turned around just to see the inquisitors were already there.

"Questo è l'ultimo trucco che farò, strega!" (This is the last trick you'll be able to do, witch!). "Burn the witch!"

A few men dismounted their horses and seized me. Others were preparing the pyre while I watched. My whole body trembled and I stared up to the full moon that shone above... ethereal. I closed my eyes. That was not the first time I died, and I knew it wouldn't be the last.