Wake Up Call

Wake Up Call

A cold touch of a hand in my arm woke me up. She looked at me with her dark and deep eyes that reflected the dim light of the night-lights in the hallway outside the barracks. Her voice sounded low and hoarse.

"It's your turn. Wake up." The young female private told me.

I tossed and turned on the bunk bed, realizing it was the hour for the night guard duty and the girl I was to substitute had come to wake me up. I quickly climbed down the bunk bed landing almost blind for the darkness on the floor and managed to make the little noise possible. My battle buddy was sleeping in the lower bed. I put on my running shoes and walked to the bathroom to wash my face.

Like I zombie I went back to the barracks, grabbed my rifle and left the room. As I advanced across the hall, the two girls in the corner stared at me with curiosity.
"What are you doing here Izzy? It's only 1:15... There's still 45 minutes till your guard."

I looked at my wrist. My watch confirmed what my battle buddy had just said.

"But... What? It wasn't one of you who had just woke me up? Someone woke me up five minutes ago!"

"That's impossible Izzy. We haven't moved from this place and there's no body else around. It must have been a dream."

I said nothing and turned around feeling awkward. As I walked back to the barracks I tried to remember the woman's face... That's when I realized that privates don't go around in the barracks dressed in white pajamas and with their long, wet black hair loose.

*** This happened to me when I was in the Basic Training in Ft. Leonard Wood Missouri.