Last Blessing

Last Blessing

"Here latest coordinates provided by the National Weather Service.", the weather lady on the news took pointed to the map on the monitor with resignartion. "Maria is located at latitude 16.9 north and longitude 69. 2 west moving northwestards at eleven miles per hour. Still a strong category five, its eye at one hundred seventy five miles southeast San Juan." With shaky fingers she clicked on the tiny remote control, changing the screen to the forcasted track. A red line moved the enormous cyclon intersecting the twenty times smaller island on the map. She took a deep breath before resuming with a broken voice. "The image speaks by itself... May God protect us."

****Still remembers the last broadcast on the news before Hurricane Maria made landfall that dreadful Thursday, September 20, 2017. That last phrase uttered in a broken whisper by the weather lady stills shakes me. That day, history changed for us forever. For twenty four hours we exhaled fear and impotence while watching behind the gaps beneath the windows how a moster of a stormed clashed against us devastating with raging force our beautiful island. It's been more than a moth after the events took place and there still so much to do for a long term recovery but we are strong and determined and in one voice we say #PuertoRicoselevanta.