Chapter 6.1 | Closure

𝐕𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐚 𝐏.𝐎.𝐕

My gaze softens as Serenity snuggles closer to me, a smile unconsciously growing as she sleeps. My hands move her curls that fall in front of her face, my adorable daughter just gets cuter every day.

"What's got you smiling my little girl?" I say in a quiet voice, my lips turning up in a smile from the sight. I'm distracted from the sight when I feel movement against my abdomen and my hand reaches down to caress my protruding stomach. "I haven't forgotten about you either little one."

After the talk Jason and I had a months ago about having another child l finally decided that we were at a good place mentally, financially, and in my case physically after my first pregnancy to try for another. Three months after Serenity turned two I got my implant taken out and here l am in my sixth month with another baby girl on the way.

l feel my my phone vibrating next to me and I assume it's just Jason or Oli wanting to ask me something since the two are downstairs but when l see the hospital phone number, my first thought is it they want to change my upcoming shifts. 

"Is this Victoria Marshall?" a man's voice asks and I'm thrown off for a second because I haven't heard my maiden name ever since I got married and took Jason's last name.

"Yes this is Victoria, what can I do for you?" I ask in a low voice as I slowly sit up from my daughter's bed and make sure she's tucked under her blanket before quietly walking out of her room. 

"We have a patient here named Devin Marshall here in palliative care at the hospital, he informed us that you're his daughter and that you also work here," the man says and I feel my eye twitch when I hear the name. Ever since that day we met at the hospital, I didn't bother to contact him again, he's still just a sperm donor in my books. And how did he get my phone number since I clearly didn't give it to him the last time we met. 

"Yes that's correct, I work at the hospital, is there a reason he's asking to contact me?" I ask as I lean back against the wall.

"I'll be very straightforward Victoria, your father is worried he doesn't have enough time left and he asked we contact you so the two of you to meet," the man explains. I'm just about ready to blurt that I don't want anything to do with the man when his next sentence stops me. "He wants to hand over your mother's possessions that he wasn't able to hand to you years ago." When my mom died, it was the worst time to deal with not only losing her but my dad bringing a new woman into our home. When it came to taking her keepsakes like photo albums and other things my dad locked them away from me and things like her jewelry that bitch claimed them as hers. I move my ear from the phone and see I still have enough time before visitation ends for the day. 

"I'll be there in thirty minutes," I say as I go to my room and grab my wallet plus keys from my vanity. "What room is he in?"

"He's in room ten fifteen," the man replies.

"Alright, thank you," I say before hanging up. I can't believe he's finally going to give me my mom's things but it just shows how much he never cared about me to withhold it. I walk out of my room and go to the top of the staircase and can make out the sounds of Jason's and Oli's laughter. 

"Jason," I call out, I feel bad I'm interrupting them in whatever they're doing.

"Yes sweetheart?" he calls back.

"Can you come over here, I need to talk to you," I tell him and it's silent before I hear the sounds of footsteps and see him at the bottom of the stairs.

"Everything okay? You and the baby?" he asks in worry as he climbs the stairs and as soon as he reaches me on arm wraps around my waist while he places a hand on my baby bump.