Chapter 10

"You want to continue?" Jason questions as he settles behind me again. I lean back, half turned so I can wrap an arm around him and my injured leg laying over his. He throws the bedcovers over me as I relax against him again.

"It was a couple of months after my mom's death and after living with my dad's new woman during those months I decided that I had enough. I packed as much shit as I could one night, and I ran away from home. I guess you could say that's when my next set of troubles started," I sigh, closing my eyes as Jason cards his fingers through my hair.

"At the time I was dating a guy from school, a year older than me in his senior year. We were dating since the previous year, friends since I was in my freshman year and he was my rock when shit hit the fan, the only person I could rely on," I chuckle as I feel his grip tighten, from I dare say, jealousy? 

"His name was Eiichi, and I don't know what made me notice him, his looks probably. His mother was from somewhere in Europe and his dad Japan, so I found him attractive because of the mix. He also had the bad boy image and my teenage self loved it. He was my first for basically everything."

"It seems your taste is still the same then," he says, his chest rumbling as he speaks. I lift my head, my chin resting on his chest as I gaze up at him.

"No, my taste changed. Now I'm into heavily tattooed men that seem to have the bad boy image but don't, there's a difference," I say with a cheeky smile. He gives me a smirk as I set my head back against him.

"I moved in with him, and we lived together through the rest of my junior year, going into my senior year. It wasn't until the second half of my final year in high school I found out he was in a gang, or specifically in the yakuza," I tell him.

"For him, it's a family business, his dad being the head of the family and when he turns eighteen, he'd take over. When he became the new boss, he changed. It started coming home injured and bloody, or he'd drink and did drugs. One day he asked me to join them, he said he loved me and that he wanted me by his side and my naive dumbass self believed him."

"I stopped going to school and I joined him in everything he did. Sure I didn't go beating up anyone, but I also started to drink and do drugs. His behaviour to me also changed. Gone was the sweet boy I knew, instead he became someone cold-blooded and cruel, I lost count of how many times I was at the receiving end," I sigh thinking back to every punch or slap. 

"If I ever see that fucker I'll make sure he gets tenfold of what he gave you," he snarls. "You didn't deserve that from him."

"I know but I still stayed, stupid I know but every time that happened, he would apologize, show me he cares and we'd be stuck in that same vicious cycle all over again. At some point I joined in whatever dealings they had to do, I became their treasurer of sorts so I was neck-deep in their work," I tell him.

"I thought things were going amazingly but one day Eiichi told me that we were going to a club to do business. My job was to get the money and count it before we gave them the drugs but things went south. The other party didn't plan to do business with us and it turned into a shootout. I was armed that night, but I never once took out my gun and shot anybody."

"We all escaped and I honestly can't remember much of what happened, it was so chaotic but by the time the police came, they found me near someone who died. They arrested me and found me with a gun and for them, that was enough to charge me and put me on trial as an adult. Those fuckers didn't even bother to investigate, and I spent a year in prison. When I was eighteen, I demanded a retrial and this time they looked at the evidence properly and I was released."

"I read that part and looking at you now, you've changed drastically from how you used to be," he points out.

"I needed to change and that's what I did," I reply. "When I was released, I knew I wanted nothing to do with Eiichi or the yakuza, I felt it would bring me more troubles if I stayed. I left the city with just my i.d and paperwork, hitched-hiked all the way to Toronto, found a woman's shelter, got a job and went back to school to finish my senior year. I graduated and got a scholarship to do nursing," I tell him. "As far as I was concerned, that part of my life was dead to me and I was moving on to something better."