Chapter 9

It's been two days since I received the letter that was wedged in my apartment door. Two days since I've received more unwanted presents from my stalkers to let me know that they know where I am. I watched over Oli on Monday and yesterday, but today I told Jason that I was coming down with something so I couldn't go over to his place again.

I'm not sick but the stress from overthinking and not sleeping properly for the last two days is taking a toll on me and I know I'm in no condition to watch over a child for a couple of hours. I need maybe twelve hours of sleep so I don't have this pounding headache anymore. 

I look at the other papers and pictures littered all over my table. I pick up one of the pictures, my lips pursing in distaste. This one is from a time where I was naive, trusting the first person that showed me he cared and instead I'm backstabbed by him.

What I don't understand is how he found me and what he wants from me. There's no way he should know where I am considering I skipped out of town the minute I was released. The only person who knew what happened was Cora, the first person I connected with here in Toronto but I only gave her the same story as Charlotte, no pictures, no name. I put down the picture and sigh, I might as well finish whatever cleaning I have left before I pass out. 

I grab my trash and recycling as I walk out of my apartment, locking it behind me as I go to the garbage room at the end of the hall. I pass by the old couple that lives across from me as they get out of the elevator and I hear bits and pieces of their conversation but some things they say make me freeze.

"Did you see those black cars hanging around here? There was even one parked out front, can't even see through the window not to mention some people coming into the building looked like dangerous, never seen them before."

As soon as I hear their door close, U run down the hall to dump my trash before I pivoting on my heel and run back to my apartment. This isn't a coincidence that they're here. I know how they play and most likely they're just coming to shake me up before coming back again and again until they get what they want.

I lock my door and go straight to my room, my phone in hand as I dial the only person I know who can help me. I stop for a moment, debating if I should do it or not but he's the only one that I can rely on for this. They'll send out they're people to sniff me out if I try to run and they're not far from me but at the same time, I'd be a little safer with him. I make up my mind, dialing the number on my phone, listening to it as it rings.

"Hey sweetheart, are you feeling-"

"Jason, can I come to your place? Like right now?" I ask, cutting him off as I quickly stuff clothes into a bag. I grab i.d papers and any personal information, stuffing it in as well. I walk to my bathroom grabbing the necessary toiletries and add them to the growing mess in my bag. 

"You know my house is open to you but what's wrong Victoria? You sound rushed," his voice changing to one of concern.

"I'll explain when I see you," I tell him as I grab my jacket and my shoes, stopping by my kitchen table to swipe the photos and letter into my bag as well. 

"Okay, drive safely," he tells me as I cut the line. I zip up my jacket and turn off all the lights in the apartment and go straight to my balcony, locking it behind me. I look down at the fire escape, ten flights to go down and most likely there are patches of ice on the staircase, not a safe idea but it's the best I've got. 

I carefully go down the flight of stairs, trying not to alert anyone that someone is creeping down the fire escape. I'm on the second to last flight when I slip on a patch of ice and my leg gives out. I manage to grab the railing but my knee ends up hitting the metal quite hard. I cover my mouth muffling my yell as I shakily get up and limp the rest of the way down.