Chapter 2

"Fire away officer, I'll just say that I have no idea who shot the owner officer Carter," I tell him crossing my arms. He takes a seat across from me and his lips pull up in a smirk. 

"For someone that was just caught up in a shooting and saved someone from dying, you seem to be fairly calm," he observes.

"I'm a nurse, something like blood or seeing an injured person doesn't phase me," I say in a deadpan tone.

"And a bartender? How did you get caught in that?" he asks cooly, raising a brow in question. 

"My best friend works at the bar, she's one of the managers. If it's going to be a busy night she'll call me in to help, just like today," I answer.

"Where were you when the shooting happened?" he questions, flipping a small notebook open, pen in hand.

"I was heading to the v.i.p lounge, I heard one shot behind me and everyone was panicking to run out from the bar. The only people who were left by the time EMS came were the employees and well the owner," I reply listing off the two.

"You didn't see anyone suspicious that was still lingering in the bar?" he asks jotting down my answers.

"Don't you think I would have told you if I saw someone?" I retort. He pauses writing, looks back up at me, eyes narrowing before letting out a low chuckle.

"You know most officers wouldn't be so kind like me in letting someone get away with lip during a formal investigation," he smirks.

"What can I say, officer? It's almost midnight, I'm tired, and I have another job to get to in the morning," I sigh.

"Another job? As what?" his curiosity peeking up.

"I don't think I need to tell you because that isn't related to what happened thirty minutes ago," I say, ignoring his question. "That sounds like more of a personal question and even if I don't answer, I'm pretty sure when you run a background check on me you'll get your answer."

"Well played Ms. Marshall, well played," he chuckles. "You've got an interesting air to you."

"So I've been told," I say rolling my eyes. "Is that all the questions you needed to ask?"

"For now yes but if there's anything in our investigation that comes up, we will most likely contact you," he replies standing up.

"Good to know. I'll be heading out now, have a goodnight Officer Carson," I tell him as I walk away. Holy shit Victoria, you fucking managed to not self-combust when talking to him. And did you see the way he smirked, and when he laughed; my god, a human being shouldn't be that sexy, does someone like that really exist?

"Ms. Marshall, hold on a second." I turn to see the officer walking up to me, stopping a couple of feet away. 

"Let me drop you off to wherever you're heading. It's dark, and I'm pretty sure you didn't come with a winter jacket or car," he says pointedly looking at my scrubs. I purse my lips weighing my options. To call Cora and potentially wait here while she finishes up at the bar which could take hours or to take a ride with the sexy officer back to the bar, grab my jacket plus keys and walk home.

"I need to go back to the bar to get my things, my friend will probably drop me off," the lie slipping from my lips, no doubt I'll be walking. "And please call me Victoria, it's too formal with the Ms. Marshall thing."

"Alright Victoria but in return, you can call me Jason," he says, my name rolling off his tongue which gives me goosebumps. I guess he sees the reaction I have to him because he gives me a cocky smirk before gesturing to follow him. I walk behind him as we trek through the hospital to the main entrance. We're not at the doors yet and I can feel the cold night air, and I subconsciously rub my arms. "Here, you look like you need this." I see his outstretched hand holding out his coat for me to take to wear.