Chapter 3

"So this is your day job then?" Jason questions as he walks in the room, stopping at the bed his nephew is currently sleeping in.

"I'm surprised that he's your nephew," I tell him. "And how did you not you realize he wasn't feeling well today?"

"He looked fine when we were leaving this morning, I didn't see anything physically wrong with him, just wish he told me," he sighs as he sits down beside Oli, brushing his hair back.

"It's good that we caught it early, he most likely has the flu. He'll need lots of fluid, food that's easy to digest and sleep," I rattle off instructions to him.

"This is a fucking problem now. I have to get to work but I can't ask them to watch him for me," he mutters under his breath as the school bell rings. From the sound of it he doesn't have anyone to help him look after Oli while he goes in for his shift. It's silent for a moment before an idea crosses my mind. It's impulsive yes, and maybe not a smart decision but looking at the six-year-old sleeping, I think it's the best idea.

"Why don't you let me take care of him? If you can't find anyone to take care of him then let me do it. I am a qualified nurse after all," I suggest to him. He looks at me for a couple of seconds unsure and I let out a sigh. "Even though it's slightly unfair, you can't tell me you haven't done a background check on me after yesterday. My record is clean, even with my unsavoury past." He thinks for a moment before letting out his own sigh.

"Fine, but only because you're the only person that can help," he tells me.

"Great, wake him up and help him with his jacket while I grab my things," I tell him as I walk to my coat closet. I take off my lab coat, hanging it on the hook and I grab my jacket plus bag before locking the door closed.

"You're ready to go?" Jason questions with Oli in his arms, still asleep.

"Yeah, let me take his bag from you," I tell him. He hands it to me and I follow him out into the hall closing the office door behind me. "Where did you park?"

"Right at the front," he replies as we exit the school and I see a black BMW waiting by the steps.

"I'll follow your car," I tell him as I walk to the teacher's parking lot where my own black BMW is parked waiting for me. I open the trunk placing both of our bags before getting inside and starting the car, pulling it up beside his.

"Nice wheels," he says rolling down his window.

"Yours isn't bad either, let's get out of here." He pulls his car out of the school complex and I follow close behind him. It's been snowing throughout the day, so it's a pretty slow drive to their house. For fifteen minutes I'm behind him until he slows down in front of a two-story house.

He turns into the driveway and I park at the curb before turning off the engine. I watch as Jason gets out and carries Oli to the house, unlocking it and going inside. I get out of my car and grab his bag before following him.

"Lock the door behind you," he tells me as he places Oli on the sofa. I toe off my shoes and place his bag against the walls.

"You should go get him changed into something more comfortable while I check your kitchen," I say to him as I drape my coat over the sofa. I walk straight to the kitchen, tying my hair back and washing my hands before going through their cabinets and fridge. He keeps it well stocked so I won't have to worry about not having ingredients.

"Victoria, where do you want me to put Oli?" Jason calls out to me.

"Living room, I want to keep an eye on him," I call back to him. I grab things from their fridge and cupboard, placing it on the counter and then walk back out to where Jason is placing a blanket on Oli.