Chapter 19

"What problem?" he demands. I look at my mirror again as I hear him tell someone to track my number.

"We were leaving the bank and there were two men in the parking lot watching Oli and me. One of them had the tattoo," I tell him as I shift my phone between my ear and shoulder as I start to drive faster, weaving in between the cars.

"Sweetheart, we're tracking your number and following reports of the shots fired on the street. Whatever you do don't stop," he says as more bullets go off from behind us. I look up in time to see one car spin into the lanes driving in the opposite direction. Two cars slam into it and all the other cars coming from behind slam their brakes. Oh shit.

"Tori, what's happening? Why is it noisy outside?" Oli doesn't sound scared but he does sound uneasy with everything that's happening.

"Jason, I'll keep going but your window of getting to us is going to close if you don't hurry," I tell him as I continue to accelerate.

"I know, we just heard about the crash. Sit tight sweetheart, we'll get to you guys," he says as he hangs up. I throw my phone on the seat beside me, rolling my eyes at Jason's parting words, it's not like I can sit tight at the moment.

"Hey Tori, why are we going so fast?" Oli pipes up from behind me.

"Uh, I want to get home real fast so we can watch our movie together, I'm excited," I say in a tense voice as I make a hard right at the turning light. Scenes like this you'd only see in movies but here I am in a car chase, being hunted down in a game of life or death.

The street we're on now has lighter traffic, I pass by two cars before the road is empty in front of me. I recheck my mirrors and see the black car still trailing behind us, but from afar, I can hear the sound of sirens coming towards us. I feel relief surge through me for a moment but it's fleeting when I hear a shot go off, and I hear one of the back tires explode. The car starts to swerve and I have to press on the brakes so it doesn't spin out of control, but this is what they wanted.

"Oli, I need you to listen to me, take off your belt and get on the floor now and cover your ears," I shout as the car closes the distance between us. He looks frightened at my raised voice but silently does what I ask and I watch him shift onto the floor, his head out of sight. Jason, if anything happens to me at least nothing will happen to Oli. My car slows a bit and as the other car and I quickly duck my head as bullets are fired through the windows.

The glass of the window explodes inside, Oli's screams from behind me rattling my heart. I lift my head, the car in front of us slowing down and see one guy standing through the car's sunroof and it looks like he has a, wait, is that what I think it is? Oh fuck, fuck. I watch as he sets up a small machine gun in front of him. Do they not want me alive? It's a risky move, and there's a chance they'll shoot again but there's no way we can stay in here.

"Oli, we need to leave, come here," I say holding my arms out to him. He grabs onto them and it's a tight squeeze but I managed to pull him through the space from the front seats and into my lap. I push my chair back so I have more space to hold onto him and he's not pressed against the steering wheel.

The sirens sound like there a couple of meters away and it seems they're not sticking around to retrieve me. "Oli, I need you to trust me okay?" I say to the trembling child. I don't wait for his reply as I take my foot off the brakes, open my door and throw the two of us out.

Just as I do that, the man standing through the sunroof starts putting bullets where the engine is, Oli and I rolling out of the way as my car starts to swerve and I use my body to cover Oli's as it explodes behind us. The ground is shaking beneath us, my ears are ringing, and I hold onto Oli's head tighter as I feel the heat from the fire on my body. The sirens, they're so loud and I can hear them stopping a couple of feet from us. Hands touch Oli and I and I can feel him shaking against me.