4. I'll Pick You Up

The two of them went home after midnight.

Although the woman gave birth prematurely, it was lucky to know that both mother and baby were healthy. Krist and Gawin stayed till the delivery ended, and they were able to contact her family.

Gawin was tired but still awake enough to drive Krist home, while Krist was already wandering in his dreamland. They didn't talk much on the way back due to exhaustion, so Gawin didn't know when his small customer fell asleep. But the moment he turned to the left side to ask for Krist's address, he saw the man starting to nod off accordingly to the movement of the wheels. The hanging cross earring flashed in the night, reflecting its shadow below his ear.

Krist looked adorable when he was sleeping.

Recalling when Krist dozed off in front of the clinic door, Gawin couldn't bear waking him up. He began to drive slowly so the car wouldn't jolt. Until reaching the door in front of his house, he gently pulled over on the side of the road instead of driving inside.

Gawin rarely invited his friends home, his parents also didn't live with him, so he only brought his girlfriend here occasionally. The thought of letting Krist sleep over at his house tonight only poped in his head for two seconds and then disappeared quickly.

Even though he had no intention of inviting Krist into the house, Gawin was still afraid of waking him up. Therefore, he decided to stay in the car and text his girlfriend, hoping Krist would wake up soon and tell him the address of his house.

It was not long after he sent a message to his girlfriend, she responsed immediately.

"I haven't slept yet, but it's strange when you're still awake at this time."

Gawin didn't usually sleep late, because of his habit and the nature of his job, he rarely stayed up until midnight.

"I had dinner with a friend, something unexpected happened, so I just got home now."

"P'Podd?"

"A guy whom I just met at my clinic."

This time his girlfriend didn't reply right away. Seeing her typing but not sending for quite a while so Gawin decided to make a video call. It took two minutes for her to pick up. She spoke more quietly than usual. He could see the balcony curtains behind his girlfriend, with the dim light from the small lamps.

"Stay inside, why you come out in this cold weather?" Gawin lowered his voice, trying not to wake up Krist.

"The girls are all asleep, I don't want to wake them up so I came out here. I'm already wearing a cardigan, see? Are you inside the car?"

"Yeah, my friend is sleeping, and I'm afraid to wake him up... like you."

"Show me his face... your new friend."

"For what?"

"I'm just curious~"

"But recording without him knowing is not good."

"Eyyy~ your friend is sleeping. Why you have to be so tender?"

Not wanting to argue with her, Gawin had to flip the camera to record Krist, but he didn't turn on the lights in the car. The only rays of light were from the streetlights creeping through the window, illuminating only a part of Krist's stomach and the two hands placed neatly on his lap, along with small specks of light from his silver earrings.

"Woah... he wears earrings?"

Gawin didn't have many friends, most of his relationships were at the level of communication for work. His circle was small with a few close friends, and none of them dressed as Krist. Before he could say anything, his girlfriend asked him to turn on the lights in the car. This time Gawin didn't say no. He turned on the lights, assuring her that his new friend was really a guy, then he flipped back the camera to his face and continued talking to her in a small voice.