confusion

POV: Nyoka

That was an odd dream.

Celeste was snuggling with me in bed. She was comforting me, whispering sweet and soothing words that I wanted to hear. That I needed to hear. Part of me deeply wishes that my dream was reality.

I have to push those thoughts aside though, otherwise I'm going to be late. I rapidly have my breakfast and take a shower, leaving my nightdress on the bathroom floor as I lather suds over my body, cleaning every crevice before turning off the water and scraping off most of the droplets of water.

With an old and shabby towel wrapped around my chest, barely covering my ass, I shuffle into my room to get dressed in another long skirt and long sleeved shirt. I clip my hair back and brush my teeth before gathering my things and sprinting out the door, frightened that I'll miss my bus.

I catch my breath as I sit in my regular spot at the back of the bus, leaning against the chilly glass of the window. My mind vaguely recalls that someone's meant to drop by today but I struggle to remember who until it smacks me like a truck. I don't know why I forgot that Celeste has my jumper. I'm even cold today and didn't register that I felt light as I left my house in a rush.

Shit, I forgot to bring her shirt.

My anxiety rises as the bus trundles into town until my stop. It doesn't take long to walk to the shop from the bus stop and dump my belongings in the back, wrapping my apron around my front and collecting twine and gatherings of flowers to tie into bouquets.

Just as I open the shop, Celeste approaches the steps, my jumper folded neatly in her arms. She smiles and waves at me as she skips up the stairs and through the shop door as I open it for her.

"Thank you, Celeste," I say as I step back into the shop quickly, needing to finish my work before Miss Colleen gets to work and the shop officially opens for the day. "Sorry but I forgot your shirt and I really need to get the shop ready this morning."

"Alright, do you want me to get you a coffee or something?" Celeste asks, oddly shy.

"I don't like coffee," I blandly state as I slip into the back of the shop, Celeste trailing behind me as I mindlessly chuck my jacket onto the table and grab a heavy bucket of flowers, water sloshing in the bottom as I groan from the weight.

Without a word, Celeste steals the bucket from me, holding it with ease as I scrape up another bucket, not complaining for the help. She innocently follows me into the shop, intently following my directions and plopping her bucket beside mine. She closely watches me as I fiddle with the flowers, checking their stems and leaves. Recently we've been seeing a lot more cases of diseases contaminating our stock.

"Is there anything I can get you?" She insists.

"I don't want you to waste your money."

"It's my money to spend and I want to know if there's anything I can get you to help you through your day."

"If you really feel the need just a small hot chocolate should do, no marshmallows."

She doesn't question my dislike of marshmallows as she quickly leaves, the bell jingling behind her and the door hinges squeaking. I need to put some oil on those, it's been frustrating me for days. For now it has to be a secondary task though as Miss Colleen calls from the back. I hadn't even noticed she'd arrived. Normally she comes through the front of the shop.

I shuffle into the back, wiping my hands down my apron as I connect eyes with Colleen. She waves for me to come closer as Grace stands waiting for me, Izzy nowhere in sight.