the end

POV: Celeste

[Two Years Later]

"Nyoka! Do you know where Merri's left shoe is?" I call out as Merri kicks in my arms, whining as I try to get her dressed.

She loves her dress but shoes are always a struggle, especially if they're anything more than velcro. She finds them uncomfortable to wear but neither of her siblings complain this much about it.

Merri flails in my arms, twisting to free herself as Nyoka directs me to Merri's shoe. Merri keeps kicking as I slip on her shoe, tightening it around her small foot. I playfully kiss her cheeks making her giggle before releasing her so that she can waddle to Nyoka.

Leo and Emily both scurry around, chasing each other as Leo steals Emily's hairband again.

"Leo, stop teasing your sister," I say, snatching away the hairband and passing it back to Emily, who sticks her tongue out at her brother.

Leo gets bullied by both of the girls but he always retaliates by stealing from them and hiding their things. He does the same thing to mine and Nyoka's stuff, even though we've told him off for it.

"Do you two want some snacks?" I ask, getting tired of dealing with them right now. I'm going through enough stress and this suit, while tailored to me, is restrictive.

They both squeal and run off to raid the bag of snacks Nyoka insisted on bringing for them so that they can be distracted when we need to do something. As they both settle down with some snacks that aren't too messy, I go to the room Merri ran into to find Nyoka, knocking on the door.

"Don't come in," Nyoka calls.

"Why not?" I call back, feeling like I know the answer.

"It's bad luck," she playfully replies. "What do you want- ah, Merri, don't tug at my hair."

"Leo and Emily are having some snacks. I was wondering if Merri wanted any," I call in, chuckling as I hear Merri's shoes shuffling over the floor before she appears at the door, scurrying away to grab her own snack.

I stay close by the door, listening as Nyoka giggles with her mother and her two friends from work as they get ready. I so badly want to go in and see her but I know Nyoka will get mad at me for ruining this surprise.

I proposed to Nyoka a few months after we got back from the hospital. She loved it since it was a break away from the babies when they were constantly needing her and her body was exhausted and raw from them. I only made her break better by proposing privately, with her favourite food and flowers.

We spent the whole night together while Nyoka's mother took care of the triplets and she finally got a full night's sleep as I snuggled with her. I love the triplets and so does Nyoka but they are a handful and a half.

Today they've been absolute menaces and gremlins, making it difficult for anyone to keep an eye on all of them.

Grace, one of Nyoka's coworkers, suddenly leaves the room, pushing me away from the door to stop me from getting a glimpse into the room. She instantly begins scolding me for trying to peak in before walking off to the small kitchen to get coffee and tea for all the girls getting ready.

"I can't wait to see you later, Nyoka. I'll be going now and taking the triplets with me," I call in. "I love you."

"I love you too!" She calls back and I can hear how happy she is as she bids me goodbye.