nap time

POV: Nyoka

[A Week Later]

I feel horrendous today and I know I'll feel just as bad for the next few days.

My period has always been really painful, to the point it makes me physically sick, but I hadn't expected it for another day or two so I don't have any of the strong painkillers I need to numb my discomfort. Instead I'm just sat at the table in the backroom of the shop, trying to ignore the deep tense pain in me that makes me want to fold over and cry in a ball on the floor.

I have no idea how I'm going to get home. I barely have enough strength to walk through the shop let alone to the bus stop. I decide to think about it later, for now I just need to wait for this agony to subside enough that I can move.

Not only does my period bring me pain but it also awakens my depression so all my mind can do while I rest my head on my jacket that I've folded into a pillow on the table is make me want to cry for no obvious reason. This depression will likely last few a few days even after my period is over and done with for the month so I have that to look forward to dealing with.

My ears try to focus on the sounds coming from the shop as customers come and go, the bell constantly jingling above the door, the sound of it beginning to get on my last nerve. Normally I have more tolerance for the sound but today I just want to tear it down to shut it up as the sound pierces my ears and rings through my skull.

Amongst the jingling two voices catch my ear, giving me enough energy to lift my head off the table to glance towards the door into the main shop.

I can hear the muffled voices of Grace talking to another familiar and smooth voice that, if I had more energy, I would get up to check myself.

"Yeah, she's in the back," Grace says, her voice nowhere near as cheerful as it usually is.

"I though she normally had shopfront duties on Tuesday's?"

"Normally she would but she's really not feeling well today," Grace explains before shifting to an actual customer.

I lay my head back down on the table, closing my eyes as I try to rest again before I hear the door squeak open, heavy footsteps of someone wearing large boots filling my ears as they walk up to me. They pull out a chair beside me, settling on it before pushing something towards me over the table.

I open my eyes just enough to see a takeaway cup in front of me, steam floating out of the small hole in the plastic lid. My nose picks up the strong smell of bitter coffee that overwhelms my senses making me hide my face under my arm. The smell of coffee gives me a headache.

The person patiently sits beside me as they sip on their own cup, waiting for me to do anything more than sit exhausted at the table feeling as though I'm about to throw up but I'm in too much pain to move anywhere else.

I can't help but groan as another sharp wave goes through my body, my arm wrapping around my waist to hug myself and put pressure on the pain, hoping that it'll help even a little bit.

"Nyoka," Celeste says softly from beside me, her hand rubbing my back softly. "I brought you a hot chocolate if you want it."

I whimper as I try to reach out for the cup on the table in front of me and another wave of pain is shot through me in response. Why must my body hate me?

Celeste helps me sit up and hands me the cup as I lean back on the chair, slowly sipping at the hot chocolate, trying to get through the layer of cold whipped cream. As the hot liquid flows through my body it does relieve the smallest bit of tense pain.