nerves

POV: Nyoka

[Two months later]

I'm so anxious.

I've already had so many appointments with Celeste while we've still been going out as friends for dinner and movie nights to try and get me more comfortable, but I'm still so nervous.

Today is the day Celeste organised and set aside to just focus on my tattoo. She made sure it was on a day when there aren't many people in her shop in an attempt to make me more comfortable.  She also gave me gentle instructions on what I can do to try and make things easier for me.

Despite all her attempts to make me more comfortable and support me I still can't stop my heart from trying to break through my ribs as I step into Celeste’s tattoo parlour in the early morning.

She organised our session from a really early hour so I'm just exhausted since my anxiety kept me awake all night. I hope that it isn't too painful, I honestly don't remember what it was like when I originally got my tattoo, so that I can nap.

"Nyoka," Celeste calls the instant I step through her shop door, her arm quickly looping through mine and dragging me into an isolated room, drawing the curtain hanging over the thin doorway.

My head spins and gets dizzy from the sudden rush in my head, taking a moment before settling down so I can observe where she's pulled me to.

"Woah, why did you do that?" I ask, still struggling to steady the rush of blood in my head making me spin.

"Sorry, I just..." Celeste sighs, leaning against a counter nearby. "Look, some of my employees are just a bit nosy and have been getting curious about why you've been coming round so often so I just-"

"Didn't want them to see me this morning?" I interrupt and Celeste looks pained as she tries to explain more to me though she'll just dig herself further into a hole.

"Celeste, don't worry. I understand, and besides, I think it's better if no one knows I'm here today," I admit.

I know that Celeste dragged me into a private room to accommodate me and my severe anxiety. She explained every little detail to me whether I wanted to hear it or not.

I adore how intent and determined she is to make this comfortable for me.

As Celeste smiles and gets herself ready, slipping on rubber gloves and tying her hair back into a tight bun and prepping the thin needle, I settle on the bed in the middle of the room fiddling with the buttons of my shirt.

Celeste suggested that I wear a button down shirt to make things easier if I suddenly need to cover myself and once she's finished for today since my skin will be too tender to feel comfortable lifting my arms too high. It doesn't help that I didn't wear a bra today since I can't wear it home and I know that an old woman on the bus noticed.

"Are you going to undo your shirt?" Celeste asks, turning to me as she's done organising everything to beginning.

"I'm just a little nervous," I sigh.

I shouldn't be. She's done so much to make this happen and make this as comfortable as possible for me and yet I'm being such a nuisance.

Celeste takes a deep breath before gliding over to me on her stool before placing her hand on my knee. She doesn't say anything as she stands up, pulling all my hair back off my shoulders to the back of my neck, holding it back as she cups the back of my head and her other hand supports my lower back as she lays me down.

"May I?" She requests, her eyes staring gently into mine as she softly touches the buttons around the collar of my shirt.

I swallow before nodding and she tentatively begins undoing the buttons, slowly opening my shirt, her brows raising a little as she sees I'm already not wearing a bra.

She ignores it for the most part, stopping as I begin squeezing my eyes closed, trying my best to take deep breaths to keep myself calm. I feel her hand covered in cold rubber graze my cheek, her thumb brushing over my lashes as she whispers, asking me to open my eyes.

"Nyoka, please listen to me," Celeste coos as I still don't open my eyes, "I want you to look at me and use your words, okay?"

I take a deep breath before letting my eyes flutter open to look at her as she patiently waits for me to calm down enough.

"Nyoka, are you sure you're okay?" Celeste asks.

I nod making Celeste remind me about using my voice to respond.

"I'm alright, just a little more stressed than usual," I admit, leaning my head back, breaking eye contact with her. "I think I'll be better if we just start."

"Only if you're comfortable," Celeste says, her tone giving away how concerned and uncertain she is.

I take her hand, squeezing it tight as she looks into my eyes again, her expression relaxing as she stares into my eyes.

"I swear, Celeste, I'll be alright," I assure her, convincing her enough to let go of my hand and start gently wiping down my skin, cleaning the entire area of my tattoo, being gentle around my breasts.

She goes through the whole process of prepping the tattoo without saying a word, giving me the time to calm down and adjust to the new situation. It's been so long since I first got the tattoo that I've forgotten how nerve-racking this all was.

"Do you want me to put on some background music?" Celeste asks, fiddling with the small details on my skin.

"Sure, oh, and do you have anything I could eat? I didn't have much time this morning to get anything to eat so I'm a little hungry," I ask, trying my best to sound lighthearted despite my sickening anxiety.

Celeste hums as she thinks before nodding, gliding away on the little wheels on her stool and rummaging through a draw, pulling out a small packet of biscuits and a small chocolate bar.

She offers me both but I just take the plain biscuits. My stomach can't handle anything too sweet first thing in the morning and besides, I might need the sugar from the chocolate later.

"Are you alright if we start now?" Celeste asks, the tattoo pen in hand as I finish off my biscuits, brushing the crumbs off my fingers.

I nod, now with some more energy after having food. Celeste seems to cheer up and be more confident as I cheer up, relaxing as the buzzing of the tattoo pen drowns out most of the music Celeste is playing from her phone.

We don't speak as she focuses on doing her fine lines of work as I try to get some rest and relax. I try to forget about how weird that it is that Celeste is touching and working so close to my boobs as I try my best to breathe shallower than usual so that I don't accidentally knock her hand.

It must be all the adrenaline still running through me that is numbing the pain but I know it'll start to hurt a lot more the longer this goes on.

I'll just try and get some rest while I have nothing else to do.