Chapter Four

Florence:

The music was pumping loudly from Charlotte's stereo in her bedroom as we both got ready for the party. Saturday had arrived and Charlotte eventually convinced me to go to this party, she could be so persuasive sometimes.

She put half of her long dark hair into a ponytail on the top of her head with a velvet scrunchie and walked over to the stereo to higher up the dance music. Her parents were going to be gone for the whole night so we didn't care if anyone could hear us or not.

"What's with the music?" I raised a brow at her. I didn't mind listening to it but it wasn't her usual style. She always listened to rock or alternative bands from before we were even born.

"It's my getting ready music. You like?" she wiggled her eyebrows and began moving her hips in her acid wash overalls. She always had this grunge nineties look going on and personally I loved it. I wasn't as stylish as Charlotte, I couldn't pull it off, and I wore what I felt like wearing. I didn't necessarily have a bad fashion sense, but I wouldn't say it was really that good either. I wore a chunky knitted burgundy dress that clung to my hips nicely, some ripped tights and a pair of Nike sneakers. My hair was messy in loose waves that hung just below my shoulders and my makeup was minimal. I had just filled in my brows and coated my long lashes lightly with mascara.

We danced around happily for a minute or two and then began getting ready again. I put on some earrings and bangles and was ready to go. We walked to the party, it only being a few minutes' away and arrived just after ten. The house was already filled with people and music was pumping loudly from inside as we stepped foot on the lawn in front of his house. There were a few people scattered around but it wasn't as busy as the house when we finally stepped in.

I was surprised at the crowds of people. I'd never spoke to this many people before in my life, how did Evan invite so many of them? Charlotte grabbed my hand and began guiding us towards the kitchen to get a drink. Evan, Eric and Mick were there, Eric sitting on the counter telling a story animatedly while the other two watched and listened very carefully. Evan's eyes then wandered to us and he smiled at Charlotte, motioning us to come over. Oh god, I thought, I'd rather not. I walked hesitantly over with her.

"Hey." She called when we were nearly beside them.

"Glad you could make it Charlotte and um..."

"Florence." I tried to smile at him. He brought Charlotte in for a tight hug before letting his gaze fall over her body.

"Well don't forget to grab a drink, there's plenty here." He spoke loudly over the music and motioned to the fridge and the counter lined with spirits. We had already started drinking at Charlotte's house but we weren't drunk yet. "These are my friends Mick," he pointed at Mick who kept a bored expression on his face, "And Eric." He then pointed at Eric, I smiled at him but he didn't smile back.

"Hey." Eric waved unenthusiastically, "Anyway." he said, being kind of dismissive like he wanted to go back to his conversation. Fine then... I thought.

"Let's go Charlotte." I said, picking up two cups and filling them with mixer. I then lead her through the kitchen to the living room where everyone was dancing and the music was the loudest. We took our drink out and poured it in our cups. I was kind of annoyed at Eric, I knew we would have to pretend like we were strangers but he didn't need to be so rude back there. I shouldn't let him get to me but I did.

I drank the whole drink in one, maybe the vodka would help me loosen up a little. We danced for a bit, me continuing to take sups of the vodka straight that I had brought with me every minute or two until it was almost gone.