Chapter Fourteen

Florence:

"Whoa. What the hell?" We looked up to find Mick looking in awe at the two of us. I covered myself immediately with my hands, Eric moving in front of me too. I looked around and tried to find my top which had been thrown somewhere around the room by Eric.

"Dude, get out now! Cover your eyes." Eric made sure Mick wasn't looking at me. Mick turned around with his back to us and put his hands over his eyes with a roll of the eyes and a huff.

"Okay, okay." He said. We jumped up and tried to find my top. I picked it up from behind the sofa and put it on.

When Mick turned around, my face reddened at his smirk.

"I told you not to come over, I was busy." Eric said angrily. I sat there with my hands on my needs, avoiding any eye contact with the two boys whatsoever.

"Busy with whats-her-face." He said humorously and pointed at me, crossing his arms and leaning on the doorway. "God, I knew it! I knew I was right." he shook his head in disbelief.

"Her name's Florence!" Eric shouted, causing me to look up at him. His nostrils were flared and he was glaring at Mick.

"Whatever man." He threw his arms up in surrender, "I didn't mean to offend your girlfriend." He snickered.

"She's not my girlfriend, this is the first time." He spit out, like I disgusted him. He hated being wrong and I knew this but he didn't have to say it so harshly. His words stung a little but I tried not to show any emotion on my face. I looked down at my hands now.

"Whoa, relax okay? I didn't mean to offend you. Don't worry Florence, I wouldn't mind spending some alone time with you." He winked at me, causing Eric to get up out of his seat and stalk towards him.

"Shut up. Don't talk to her like that."

"You know, you are getting really defensive, considering she isn't even your girlfriend. Are you sure about that Eric? Just wait until I tell the guys about this, they'll flip." He laughed, taunting Eric.

"Don't you dare Mick. You can't tell them about any of this."

"Well then maybe you should start being a bit nicer about all of this. I'm sure Florence wouldn't mind."

"Maybe I should go?" I said quietly and stood up to grab my things, this was getting awkward now.

"No Florence, it's fine." Eric turned to me and spoke softer than he had been to Mick. "Mick was just about to leave." Eric spoke through gritted teeth at his close friend.

"Okay, whatever. If you wish." He put his hands by his side and walked out the door, leaving us in a deafening silence. Eric stood with his back to be for a moment and then turned around.

"Shit, shit, shit." He muttered under his breath as he paced up and down in front of me. He was panicking I was sat down on the sofa, my hands tangled in each others now and tapping my foot. What did I do now? I thought.

"You know, I don't mind leaving. I'll grab my things and walk." I finally spoke.

"No, please, I want you to stay." His plea did sound genuinely but I couldn't forget about the way he was going on and the things he said to Mick.

"Really?" I asked, trying not to let my voice waver. I felt terrible right now. Was this situation really that bad? I thought to myself. He stopped fidgeting and walking to look directly at me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" his eyes closed slightly.

"It means that you look like you need to be alone right now and I don't want to be here with someone who doesn't want my company." I was surprised at my last words, I was never ever that straight with him.

"What makes you think I don't want your company?" he looked slightly taken aback, like he had no clue what I was talking about. Could he not see what he was doing all this time? I had to choose my next words carefully here; I had to decide whether I wanted this argument with him right now or not.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter anymore." I looked down again.

"If I didn't want you here, I wouldn't have asked you to stay." He walked towards me and took me in his arms in a tight grip. "I'm sorry if I made you think otherwise, I really do want you here Flo." His voice was muffled slightly.

"Alright then, I'll stay." I said, hugging him back and then letting go to look up into his bright blue eyes.

"Let's go to bed, it's late." He took my hand and we went upstairs.

We had gotten ready for bed and hopped in. I hadn't realized the time until I looked over at Eric's digital clock on his bedside table that ready 1:02am. I turned away from him, my mind racing with a thousand questions, when I felt his arm wrap around me and pull me closer so our bodies were touching. I felt the warmth of his body and his lips on my cheek before he spoke.

"You okay?" he whispered. I turned around to face him and looked up at his face that was illuminated by the blue light of the moon that had crept in through the window. He looked concerned and too awake to be able to drift off to sleep. I paused for what felt like hours, the room was dead silence, and finally spoke.

"Do I disgust you?" my eyes began to tear up. He looked confused.

"Of course not. I- No." he spoke with finality but his words weren't enough to reassure or comfort me. "What would make you think that?" he asked.

"Nothing, it doesn't matter anymore." I whispered back. He wiped away a tear that had slipped down my cheek and held me closer and kissed my forehead. It did sooth the pain a little but I wasn't convinced and my thoughts were beginning to get the better of the situation now.

Why couldn't I just say what was on my mind? Why did I hold back so much? I needed to stop and have an honest talk with Eric but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Maybe another time...